Comp won't boot, suggestions please

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by liqudplummer, May 16, 2009.

1. liqudplummer

liqudplummer Geek Trainee

I could really use some help guys.

I've built a few comps and I built this one for a friend. About 3 months in, she left it on one day while out and came home to find it was off and would not turn back on.

I was pretty cavalier in my trouble shooting of this so reserve judgment :). The comp basically had no signs of life on hitting the power button. No spin up no noise. The Biostar mobo I had in it did not have a power light to signify the mobo was getting power. I assumed (incorrectly I now believe) the psu was shot so I RMA'd the Rosewill 500 watt to newegg and without much delay they sent back what appears to be a brand new one.

Hooked it up, same problem, no life.

So I came to my senses and tested the PSU with a test I found a while back where u use wire or a paperclip to trick the mobo power connector into thinking the comp is on. The PSU fired up with all the drives and fans attatched like a champ. It just won't fire up while connected to the mobo. So I figure the mobo is broke

Again in haste I get a new Asus mobo in and reconnect it all, this time with a power light on he mobo which does come on. Same 2 sticks of ram, amd x2 and cooler and an optical and hard drive attached. The comp will not show life when u hit the power switch.

So maybe the power switch in this Antec 300 case? Well I played mad scientist and actually connected the power switch connector from another case to the Asus board, powered everything up and tried to get it to turn over with the other cases (known to work) power switch. Still nothing, tho I'm not sure if that would work anyway...

I've tried removing the Sapphire 3850, removing each stick of ram, the drives, and most combinations of those. Nothing will get it to boot up.

Before another 5 day wait for UPS to bring another part, I figured I'd beg for a fresh outlook. ANY suggestions would be great. And i apologize for the length here.

2. alexcmia

alexcmia Geek Trainee

There is a short on the mobo somewhere. (for the future, Biostar = crap)

You disassemble everything. Inspect motherboard carefully, smell it too, look for burn scent. Remove CPU, wipe it clean, regrease it making sure you use barely enough greese, reinstall HSF, making sure you doing it right to the T.

Install 1 stick of RAM, connect PSU. (video card is not installed)

Using a pin jump the motherboard to start, jump the pins for PW. HSF should spin now.

If yea, install video card. That should fire up too, and show some video.

If you get this far, reassemble everything inside that case.

What is the most likely cause of all this? Perhaps a stupid ipod attached to a USB port. Those have a tendency to do this with some crappy chipsets, such as what you have in that Biostar.

Other thoughts: you went above and boyond for that woman, though once women think of you as friend, you will always stay in that friend-boy role, forever. It's called friend zone, there is no way out of friend zone. Some guys get friend zoned right away. Here is an attraction scale, notice how friend zone is 50% and less. Point is, don't bend over for her more than you bend over for your other, male, friends.