Computer help! power supply to fans but nothing else :(

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by shomz, Aug 20, 2004.

1. shomz

shomz Geek Trainee

Ok so this couldnt come at a worse time. This morning i got on my computer checked my email and was fine nothing wrong, last night i did my usual nothing out of the ordinary burned a couple cds, no biggie, well after i checked my email this morning i clicked a link to a friends website and my mouse locked up and nothing happen so i hit the power button for 10 seconds and the computer shut off, so then when i tried to boot up again the bios came up and then went to black screen, so i shut it off again, on my next reboot nothing happened. I got power to my fans but nothing else... is this a cpu problem or a power supply problem...like i said this couldnt come at worse time, i have projects on this computer and papers for grad school...excuse my french but Im F***ed..need help any would be appreciated.

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, the first thing I'd try is clearing CMOS. If you don't know how to do this and don't have the manual for the motherboard handy, unplug the power supply (which you should do anyway), and then remove the battery. Let it sit out for an hour and then pop it back in. Then fire it back up. If that doesn't work, I'd be swinging by a pc shop or some electronics store for a power supply. Look for Antec or Sparkle/Fortron.

shomz likes this.
  3. shomz

shomz Geek Trainee

Ok so im probably going to run to a comp store and get a power supply i have a 350 watt right now its a raidmax came with the case. Do i stick with the same brand or should i just go with an antec or something else. There wont be any compatibility issues right? i mean the only i need to worry about is that if it will fit in other than that im not sure, i mean power is power right...should i go all the way up to 400 or 500 watt. I only had that powersupply for about a year ive never heard of it going out like that. anyway thanks for the suggestions i will try it and let you know.

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

It's an ATX power supply, which is the standard for desktop power supplies. Since you're going to get a new PSU, you might as well make it worth your while. I've not dealt with RAIDMAX units before, but they are on the cheap side with style before substance. Get an Antec TruPower unit and you'll be all set.

5. shomz

shomz Geek Trainee

So it was the power supply, i took your advice and went out and bought a 450 watt true power atx and 99 dollars later, i had it and installed it. The only thing i noticed and im not sure if this is good or bad. but my old power supply pushed out a lot of air and this one doesnt so much i connected its fan to the proper connecter but there isnt much air coming out, but as long as i have my three case fans i should be ok right?

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

The fan connector is for RPM monitoring purposes only and is powered directly from the power supply itself. Would be rather silly to have it need power from the motherboard now, wouldn't it? ;) As long as the airflow is good, the number of case fans doesn't matter as much, since you can get the same or better airflow with a large low RPM fan over a smaller higher RPM fan. But that's a whole 'nother discussion entirely.