Computer is slow when i hooked up my cdrw

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by tomz, Jan 6, 2003.

1. tomz

tomz Geek Trainee

Hi, I have a pioneer 16x dvd drive and a sony cdrw, when I hook my cdrw up with the ide cable with the dvd drive, the windows is sooooooooooooooooooooooo slow, but when i take it off, it works fine.

What is the problem!! Please help:swt:

2. archcommus

archcommus Big Geek

Windows as in the operating system?

3. tomz

tomz Geek Trainee

yes, win2k, please help guys, do I have to use 2 different ide cables for DVD and CDRW?

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Okay, could you give some more info on the computer you have, like the hardware specifications and drivers you are using?

It's a good idea to have the IDE devices on one cable by themselves, but it is hardly necessary, and I'm not thinking that's gonna be causing your PC to slow down.

Speaking of which, how does the PC feel slow? Just overall or running certain programs? Do you have alot of programs running in the background?

5. tomz

tomz Geek Trainee

256mb
    Win2k
    ASUS CUSL2-C
    P-III 850Mhz
    DVD 16x,
    CDRW 8x
    (they use the same IDE Cable.)

6. tomz

tomz Geek Trainee

by slow, I mean it just pauses for a few seconds, and come back to normal, and pauses ... and so on.

7. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

does it happen when u have cd in your cdrw/dvd ?

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Hmmm...let's see.

A few things I can suggest: if it's just started doing this recently, it could be that the CDRW is going bad.
    You may need to get the motherboard drivers for your motherboard---which I believe is an Intel 815-based one--specifically, IDE ones.

Also, you may want to try pairing the CD-RW or DVD-ROM on the same channel as your hard drive and see what happens.