Computer screen intermitently turns on and off right after reboot

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Lutix, Sep 8, 2013.

1. Lutix

Lutix Geek Trainee

After installing a new hard drive I attempted to install Windows 7 , but when the setup reboots my computer, the screen begins to turn on and off intermitently (always black, just turns on and off indefinetely).

What's wrong?

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome :)

Notebook Model: samsung np700z5a-s01
    New HDD: Toshiba MQ01ABD100 1TB, 5400rpm

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

It is a video card problem....Are you using s video card or onboard video...

3. Lutix

Lutix Geek Trainee

I'm using an AMD Radeon™ HD6750M, should I reinstall the drivers or something? If so, how can I do it?

Thanks for your reply :)

4. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Do you also have onboard video ? It is not picking up your Video card for some reason.. What happens If you go into safe mode ? Does it run when in your Bios ?

5. Lutix

Lutix Geek Trainee

I'm not quite sure, do you mean something like Intel Graphics? Then yes, it has Intel graphics and AMD graphics too

The computer runs the BIOS properly, just fails to load/display Windows

I can't run safe mode, even though I press F8 the computer "ignores me" and begins the monitor intermitently turning on and off...
    When I have a Windows USB Boot connected I can enter Safe mode or any of the other modes, it is kinda pointless though, because when Windows finishes installing the computer will reboot and won't be able to start again (screen on/off constantly).

If you think it would be helpful I can upload a video of my computer failing to start so you can know exactly what is failing or whatever

The rest of my Notebook's specs can be found here: http://www.samsung.com/cl/support/model/NP700Z5A-S01CL-techspecs

Sorry if my English wasn't clear enough :(

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Ok, If you have Onboard graphics, then use that to get it working , then install the drivers for your Card..

7. Lutix

Lutix Geek Trainee

Sorry, but I don't know how to make my onboard graphics to work

What should I do to actĂ­vate it?

8. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Go into your bio's, look for Hardware info or Video, Look to see what is checked..Does this Laptop have One video port on the side or back, Or does it have two ?

9. Lutix

Lutix Geek Trainee

Theres is no info or a way to activate the video through the BIOS :(

The laptop has 1 mini-hdmi and 1 hdmi port

10. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Did this Laptop come with recovery Disks ? You need to run the recovery disk ....

11. Lutix

Lutix Geek Trainee

I conveniently broke my cd/dvd unit some weeks ago... :(

Btw, I decided to try running a Linux live cd (usb) and it worked properly so I decided to install Ubuntu.

The installation went on just as it's supposed to be until the setup asked to reboot my computer, and after the reboot I got the intermitent on/off screen again can't go into the installed OS

Atm I'm just using the Linux Live CD (usb) while I try to figure out how to solve the problem of my laptop turning on and not being able to know it's supposed to load an OS lol

12. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Was Linux ever installed to your hard drive ? You will have to remove Linux boot manager before you can install ANY windows OS...

13. Lutix

Lutix Geek Trainee

No, it's the first time I install linux

14. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

So did this install of Ubuntu go on your hard drive ? Or was it all Run from the USB drive ?

15. Lutix

Lutix Geek Trainee

It installed in the hard drive, just like when i installed windows, however, i cant really access the installed OSs because of this booting problem i told you about.
    Whenever i turn on my computer the bios is loaded properly, but right after that the screen begins to turn on and off non-stop instead of loading an OS...

16. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

This is Because of Linux Boot Manager, Grub or lilo Must be removed Or You will have to just Wipe the hard drive and start from scratch. You are going to Need another CD/DVD drive..

17. Lutix

Lutix Geek Trainee

I understand your point and im ok with removing linux and starting from scratch, but the booting problem was happenning before i tried any of the linux options, so i dont really understand why are you blaming linux for my booting problems?

(Sorry, i know my english is sketchy)

18. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

If It is not Linux boot manager, then your hard drive is BAD.. You need to run either Hard drive Regenator or Spinrite to check and fix your hard drive problem..