'Computer Workshop' project...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Matt555, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Hey everyone, (sorry for long post, detailed explanation is needed)

I came up with an idea a while back of having a computer resource section somewhere. Then I realised that to get anything decent would require a lot of work and you'd need so many details. So I thought what about getting a massive collaboration of people to write one massive guide to computers. I mean go into all the details, how parts communicate, what each part does, what each part is made of etc etc.

This would be a guide to help beginners to learn all they'll probably need to know about computers from one guide. I was thinking maybe have a section on HWF and members can write a little bit here and there on what they know about and then once enough is done build a site/area that will go through all what we've written. It'd need good planning and a complete list of all that's to be written (maybe put the list in a public place so people can see how far we've got to go).

It'd take a lot of work and time but I think if we get a lot of people to help and write a little bit here and there then we could have a great technical guide, I know things get out-dated but most of the basics will still be there, and every now and then it can be updated to meet new technoligies and hardware changes.

HWF has lots of great info but this resource area would be more of a technical place, teaching about the 'details' rather than how to solve the problems if one arises. We could put together an area to help people learn about and understand the workings of a computer better.

Most guides are for one purpose, how to build, or explain the interfaces or deal with how different components communicate but this guide could cover it all in one place, i.e. have a building area where people learn how to build a computer, they may not know how parts communicate but then that could be covered in another area, say they want to learn about what makes up a component, that could be covered in a different section too.

Just to note - this is not anyone's project, it's an everyone project.

So what do you all think?

Matt

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

As I said in my PM, I really like this idea. Having someone as an editor to proofread/correct the article and check the technical aspects of it is something I'd recommend. I've seen this type of system before, where the members submit articles. Right now, Sniper is busy with college, but we do have a new article system that will be going into place. I'm not entirely sure on how it will work out, but hopefully, we can have it setup where an admin would approve it once it's ready to be 'published'.
    This is something that I've wanted to do for a long time, but never got around to it. Might help with other people doing it, though. ;)
    This could be a good way to take what issues we frequently see coming by in the forums and address them in a big FAQ.
    Building a computer. Yeah, that's one that should be explained. Granted, it's not that hard, but it's intimidating for some people. Showing them how to put one together might help a few people not freak out about putting one together.

3. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Yeah that's the idea behind it, one big computer resource where you can learn about the things which will help you to understand the workings of a computer better, the trouble shooting section is already running, right here now on HWF so this project could just be about the technical side of things.

I realised that one person working alone would take years to write something like this only to the realise they haven't updated it and it's all out of date, this thing would be something that changes with technology. More people working means more can get done in a shorter time. It may take a long time to get a decent guide there but it'll be worth it in the end, to be a part of something that can take a beginner and give them the confidence to build, maintain, upgrade, repair and understand their own computer.

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

I would suggest a Wikipedia style FAQ for HWF, where members can add/edit/delete entries on-the-fly.

5. Addis

Addis The King

I like the wiki idea, it would be a lot easier to collaborate our workings on an open information system, although we'd have members only to prevent vandalism etc...

Doing that also means that we'll have a higher quality of articles, as one person would not be doing one article on their own. Everyone could edit the pages with more info/better wording.

A possible "Hardware Forums Resource Center/Centre" name?
    It would still need planning, and work but would be a great idea for new members to get some info on the components they're buying. Won't have to go into too much detail like a wikipedia article, but enough.

6. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

That's good, planning is needed so people writing for it know what is going to be written/what has to be written about otherwise we could end up with lots of articles that might not be used.