configuration/registry error

Discussion in 'Windows OS's' started by ofekh, Jan 4, 2002.

1. ofekh

ofekh Geek Trainee

i just got a soyo dragon plus mobo with an amd athlon xp 1800+ processor and im getting this configuration/registry error when i try to boot into windows. It then tells me to use scanreg to fix the problem but scanreg dosent work saying theres errors in system files. I think it has something to do with my audio drivers but im not sure because everything seems to work fine until i go online and listen to music at the same time. Does anyone know anything about this kind of error-its very new to me.
    thanks...

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, what OS are you running?
    And what makes you think it's the audio causing your problem?

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I've also heard about the Soyo board having a newer BIOS that helps the situation for that board.

4. ofekh

ofekh Geek Trainee

im running win98 se

i have no clue if its the sound but it should be a problem with drivers since the error has to do with the registry right?

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Not necessarily. The drivers may be fine, but the OS may be corrupted. Did this happen after installing the drivers and rebooting?

Also, did you do a clean install with your mobo?

6. ofekh

ofekh Geek Trainee

at first i didnt do a clean install and i just installed the drivers for the mobo. Then i got this error so i formatted and did the same thing over again. The same error occured. something is corrupting my registry and all the backups and i have no idea what it is!

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Okay, what do you have running under the hood?

I know the mobo, but how big is your power supply? what BIOS settings are you using? are your cables fully connected (I thought I had a bad mobo due to a bad connection, it happens)? are the jumpers (if any) set correctly? are your cables showing any wire?

8. ofekh

ofekh Geek Trainee

ok it probably cant be jumpers bec soyo has a jumperless mobo
    i have an old video card (ati rage pro)
    the wires i think are okay bec i i have an new antec case w/ 300 watts. as for bios im using the "fail-safe" settings
    thanks...

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Checked your ribbon cables?

10. SETEO

SETEO Geek Trainee

You said you think it might be to do with your sound card drivers, and your running Win98SE, right....that sounds like a prob I had very recently with my SoundBlaster Live! software which I was trying to install it on that same OS...

If it's not the same soundcard then ignore this post :p

11. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

You say you did a clean install, if so did everything work ok?
    I understand that the problem only occurs after you install the sound drivers, if so it’s likely that they might be corrupted! Have you tried the latest updates? Or tried older drivers.

12. ofekh

ofekh Geek Trainee

actually i thyink i may have solved the problem. it turns out my 128 mb ddr ram is pc 1600 but in order for me to have 133mhz bus i need a pc 2100 chip so for now my bios is at 100 mhz bus where im allowed to use a pc 1600 chip. So far im still running windows with no problems so i think that was it- thanks for all your help big b ..

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That makes a lot of sense as to why you were getting errors, and not until you were multitasking.

14. ofekh

ofekh Geek Trainee

Yea not only that i was also testing the overclocking features!