connect 5.1 speakers to a pc

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by gazap, Feb 19, 2005.

1. gazap

gazap Geek Trainee

Hi all,

Got a set of 5.1 suround speakers with an amp (not pc speakers) few months ago. The amp got nicked. Would like to connect the speakers to my pc (pci) sound card. Currently, its a 2 channel card, but am strongly considering upgrading to a 5.1 sound card.

Anyhow, my query is: How can I connect the speakers and the sub to the pc sound card when there is no jacks on the speakers, just the naked wire, that used be jammed into the connectors at the back of the amp. Would I have to solder the jacks onto the speakers, or.... Is there any other way I could connect the speakers to the pc.

Would consider getting a pc sound card that would facilitate this kind of connection (if any exist?).

Hope somebody will have a practical advice and thanks in advance, gazap.

2. syngod

syngod Moderator

For 5.1 Surround you're going to require a Toslink or Digital Coaxial connection.

So to be able to run regular speakers in 5.1 you're going to have to have a receiver and run your sound card into it and then out to your speakers.

If you put RCA or a 3.5mm plug on your speakers the most you'll get is Dolbly Pro Logic II. Which will get you surround sound but not full DTS or Dolby 5.1.

3. gazap

gazap Geek Trainee

Thanks syngod. Dolby Pro Logic II would probably do, but I will try an get my hands on a receiver. Thanks again for a speedy reply and good luck, gazap.