cpu temp 95c ?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by lee, Apr 6, 2003.

1. lee

lee Guest

Hi can someone help me with this,i brought a gigabyte kt 400 motherboard and put my 1700xp out of my old board (dont ask) and my cpu temp reading is 95 c which is damn hot also it only shows my cpu at 1100 ghz, i have a switch on my board for 100 mhz 133 mhz and 166 mhz and it only boots on 100 mhz any help would be great before i start emailing through smoke signals from the back of my pc case :eek:

2. xen_chris

xen_chris Guest

where have you read that temp ?? in bios or in win ?? if it is bios, you have a problem.
    about the 100mhz fsb, you must an option: best performance somewhere. now i believe is default. but gigabyte does not act the way you say it does.
    who put your cooler on the cpu ?? was it you or someone at the service ?? if it were you, then i believe you haven't put enough silver paste on the cpu and that is the reason for the overheating. i would also recommend a cu5tb cooler from titan or something from thermaltake volcano. i mean a strong cooler, capable of cooling your enthuziastic cpu.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, I'd check the heatsink installation and, if you haven't, put a thin coat of thermal paste on the CPU core (not the whole chip). Also make sure the CPU is installed the right way (don't feel too bad---I did that once---no CPU fatality tho:))

4. D0c1021

D0c1021 Geek Trainee

Hey Lee,
    Along with what everyone else has said ....make sure and check the motherboard manual for the dip switch configurations to set the clock speed.

5. Skaeleen

Skaeleen Geek Trainee

Well said D0c1021, even I had trouble with the dipsiwtches. on this board. its not complicated, the dipswitched are thoe little switches you'lle see near the top next to the processor and the NEC network card. Theres a few on the board, I cant exactly rember which one it was, but this board takes some tiem to get used to. Its not like most boards with its Phoenix Bios, and all sorts of odd things.

Check your temperatures, its not the Board, my temperatures are fine. IF all is well, and Artic Silver 3 is applied all in the right places, and your heatsink and han are installed correct, I suggest some CPU Copper shims at last resort, they add a space between the CPU and the heatsink to absorb as much heat as possible.

And make sure your not slatering on the Thermal-paste like suntan lotion, a thin, layer all over the processor core will do fine. Its not meant to be sued as glue, just rember :)

6. extreme4377

extreme4377 Big Geek

Hey
    ya listen to Ska, he knows what hes talking about, im sure the other guys do too, i just didnt read their posts....I agree with you ska,
    to the original poster....you only need a REALLLLLLY thin layer or thermal compound so be careful and spread it evenly
    gl
    later

7. Skaeleen

Skaeleen Geek Trainee

Heres a great link on how to apply themral paste correct.

INSTALLING THERMAL PATSE Artic Silver This link applies to all thermal paste, the only difference is that this is atric silver 3.

As well, you have to rember, that you must CLEAN the cpu core PERFECT, before putting this on, dont slop it on. The only way to clean this is there is on technique, two products that can be used. WD-40, and Rubbing Alcohol (ISOPROPYL) My method is to first, take a thick cloth like paper towel, and sspray WD-40 on it, wipe of the most of it, then next step, grab a Q-tip/ear cleaning device, or Cottom ball, and dip ti in the Rubbing alcohol, moove it around the CPU core, do this 2-3 times with the q-tip until its PERFECTLY clean. Do not tocuh the core until time to apply thermal paste as well.