Crash course in OCing?

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by Exfoliate, Jul 2, 2005.

1. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Okay I used Easy Tune 4 to oc my proc, I bumped up the system bus speed a tad asked it to auto oc at next start-up, saved settings ect. Started it up, no change in system bus:x: Second try, a little flustered, oced it to 2GHz (retarded idea :eek:hah:), saved...got stuck configuring in Easy Tune...screen died, nothing...quickly restarted (no damage thankfully). Okay, screw Easy Tune, must have missed something aside from the stupid to high of an oc :confused:, went to the BIOS. OCed it 20Mhz, restarted, it asked me if I wanted to start normally, I said okay...blue screen...restarted...run normally...cursor froze and everything stuck. Restarted, reset system bus (freaking waste of time, and nearly my hardware). So what did I do wrong, obviously I forgot something critical so can any of you just tell me what I need to do in to bios to get a nice stable oc? Thanks all.

2. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Okay, I'm really frustrated now, I read up on the process online and I think I have an okay handle of it but no matter what I do I can't get anything even remotely stable. I bump up my bus to 205 from 200...freezes on login...change vcore to 1.450 from 1.400...freezes on login...change voltage on AGP to +0.1...freezes...do the same to DDR ram, then Hyper transport I think it is??...freezes. All still on 205. What am I doing wrong. I can't even fun a progam like Prime 95 to test stability because my mouse sticks and everything freezes, not even ctrl-alt-del does anything. Hopeless:confused: Please tell me what I'm doing wrong, I would like a helpful responce this time:)

3. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

OCing anything through windows is a waste of time, you have to do everything in BIOS if you plan to get anywhere. What brand is your ram?

4. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Sorry, yeah I am doing it in the BIOS, forgot to mention that. Maybe it's because of my generic ram, I don't even think it has an actual brand name, maybe Mwave, I got it there as a cpu/mobo/ram set. This might explain it. Do you think updating the bios would help? Maybe it's not optimized for Winchester cores yet?

5. ninja fetus

I'd do a BIOS update for the hell of it. I keep mine up to date. I would download and run memtest if you haven't to see if you aren't getting errors from your ram. I'm pretty sure it's your ram, I can't even take my brother's generic stick of ram to 201mhz without getting errors.

Exfoliate likes this.
  6. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Okay thanks mate, I'll run it overnight and see what comes up tomorrow, I'll be upgrading my ram anyway so I'll just have to wait it out I guess.

7. ninja fetus

That's what I'd do. Just wait until you've got some better ram, get higher than pc-3200 next time :)

8. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

But I'm an AMD man, they don't support higher yet right? But if you oc it, it's still compatable right?

9. ninja fetus

you can run high speed ram at lower speed, while overclocking your CPU you'd be underclocking your RAM.

Exfoliate likes this.
  10. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

it could also help to restoring the default speeds back to everything, then you can overclock through the bios

yeah ninja has a point you have to overclock your RAM along with the speed of your cpu

Exfoliate likes this.
  11. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

So you're saying that if I bought PC 3500 and underclocked it to 400 MHz than it would be okay? But what would be the point if it's just like PC3200?

12. Addis

Addis The King

You will be underclocking your RAM yes but it will allow your CPU to go higher in overclocking. Sometimes when your oc, the limits of the RAM can be the bottleneck, so getting faster RAM will be better if you're going to overclock.

Exfoliate likes this.
  13. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Now I'm seeing it, so buy the fastest ram you can afford I suppose, then under clock it and you'll be able to push the cpu to new levels, cool, thanks.

14. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Okay, my bios was screwed up last night so I couldn't get past it's little component check thing and eventually had to change things back to "opimized defaults" this morning for it to boot. I ran memtest for a few hours, to 4900% or so and got no errors so chances are my ram isn't flacky, just crappy. I'll wait a few weeks before I mess around with my new ram:good: Thanks again guys.

15. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Well when you get the RAM get that uber high clocked stuff from OCZ, I will edit in the link when I find it on Newegg *kudos to you Newegg, kudos to you*.

here it is-OC away

16. ninja fetus

that stuff's got really bad timing's though. I'd get pc-3500. It's still got reasonable timings and it's pretty good price

17. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Pretty good timings for 600 mhz. And since its being underclocked so much the timings can be slicghtly overclocked.

18. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Thanks dude, those are good timings for PC4800 no doubt but I can't really see spending $250 on a gig or ram. 3500 is almost priced the same as PC3200 and the timings are close too. I take it when you underclock ram you can also bring back the lower timings. Like if you had PC3700 and underclocked it to PC3200 you could effectively get 2-2-2-5 timings?

19. max12590

max12590 Masterful Geek

Depends on the native timings, but you still can't make it that extreme, but yes, your idea is right.

Exfoliate likes this.
  20. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Oh, I see so if the timings start out crappy there's only so much you can do but within a reasonable limet it works, thanks:good: