Creative Zen Vision:M - Compatible with ME

Discussion in 'Tablets, Phones and Music Players' started by skribla, Aug 13, 2006.

1. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

I bought the Creative Zen Vision M for my dad and his computer is only ME. the internet and box says that the min system requirements need to be XP (SP1).

But when i rang up a shop the other day they told me that it will work with ME - just that the manufacturers wont say that because Microsoft dont do updates or anything for it so there will be no support if there are comptiblilty issues.

Does anyone know to what degree this is true? I know other people that have got Windows 98 to work with Sony players that say min requirement is XP but i dont want my dad to open the player, find out it dont work and then not be able to return it.

Cheers all

2. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

3. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

yes, you have just answered your own question :)

4. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

lol ok then thanks. I am not sure though if it will work only because it says that the thing works with MTP - whats this?

will I also not get all the features of the Zen - I ask because it says this but then I am concerned that I will not be able to interact with the player in the same way that i will do if I install the proper software?

It also says: Note: In some regions, MTP devices are still only supported under Windows XP or later. The Easy Start CD referenced below is currently available in North America only.

Will this affect anything.

Cheers

5. Sniper

MTP is a transfer protocol which allows you to transfer from/to MTP devices such as the creative Zen.

If you are required to use windows media player then you will lose the additional features creative software may offer. However if you can install the creative software after installing the driver then there isn't a problem.

oh I wouldn't worry about the region stuff but to confirm I suggest asking at their forums.

Drivers for PlayForSure Zen Micro...

Edit: considering the shop told you it should work with ME, you should be able to return if are unable to make it work.

6. skribla

skribla Geek Trainee

ok thanks thats cool. there is just one thing i dont quite get. Do i download that update and then use WMP9 to transfer tunes?

or can I download that update and then run and install the Creative software that came with the product

7. Sniper

yes, but post on their forums to just to make sure, as many other creative users should be able to confirm.

8. swraman

swraman Geek Trainee

Hello,
    I own 3 Zen products, a Muvo Zen, a Zen TOuch, and a Zen Vision:M.

I know taht MTP is a technology only used with Windoes Xp/WMP 10 (and 11). However I have connected my Zen Touch to a Windows 98 machine before, and used the Creative software to transfer files. This may have before Creative used MTP however. The Vision:M was released after Creative started using MTP, so I have a feeling it wont work with Windows ME...

I hope you can get it to work out, The Vision:M is the greatest MP3 player Ive ever seen, especially for $250 (even though I paid $330 the week it came out...still worth it :p