Decided I don't like vector linux on my laptop

Discussion in 'Linux, BSD and Other OS's' started by Nic, Feb 12, 2005.

1. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

But how the hell do i format my hd again?? It won't let me :( I can now understand why ive used windows up to know. Its simple and so am I and linux is compicated. Any help :confused:

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

just pop in a lamer windows cd and you can formatt with it.

3. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

It depends on which distro/software you're using. Linux's fdisk will do the job nicely, or you can let the next OS you install do it for you.

4. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

yep how dos i use fdisk? When i type in fdisk /dev/hba it doesnt work

5. Anti-Trend

Well, you have to have fdsisk before you can run it :p Like I said, just let the OS you install next format it for you.

6. ninja fetus

You can take a windows boot CD and type in fdisk
    Then format c:\s I think, or format c:/s

oh yeah, learned that in school.

7. Anti-Trend

It's format c: /s ...If you were formatting a filesystem that DOS can understand. But you're not. It won't work. Even if it would, what would manually formatting the filesystem accomplish? All you'd have is a blank hard drive. It makes a whole lot more sense to just let the next OS you're planning on installing do the work for you. Am I missing something?

8. ninja fetus

not missing something. Just another one of my mindless posts. :D

9. Anti-Trend

Alright, I felt like I was going nuts for a minute there. :eek:

10. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

I found out that it was my own stupid fault that vector wasn't working like i wanted it to (I could only see part of the screen) but when I put it back on it formats it fine but then creating the boot disk fails :S So I cant boot it now any idea what I can do?

11. Anti-Trend

Actually, you shouldn't need a boot disk in order to boot to Vector. Just allow it to write to your MBR (master boot record), and it'll boot on its own.

By the way, I'd like to make it clear that Vector Linux is a little difficult to use compared to a lot of other distros. If you stick with it for a while, you'll learn a lot in the process, but it's definately not the pinnacle of Linux usability. So don't let Linux leave a bad taste in your mouth just because of one distro. Vector is based on Slackware (not easy for n00bs, but has a great reputation for admins). And it runs well on even the most outdated hardware. But if you had a system who's hardware could handle a distro like Mandrake or Suse, I'd recommend them over Vector in a heartbeat.

12. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Yeh i'd rather learn the hard way and unfortunately for me I only have this old :swear: laptop that i'm allowed to fiddle around with...well that and my pc of course. As soon as ive got my new HD im gunna put linux on my pc but for now ill persivere (r howeva its spelt) with vector and this laptop

EDIT: I have this not showing the whole picture problem on my laptop ...on my pc plugged into my monitor its fine I can see everythingbut on my laptop it cuts a bit off the right hand side and on the bottom. When I say a bit i mean about 2 inches off the bottom and 1inch at this side. How can I fix this?

13. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

1. Easiest way to format a computer is to use KillDisk or the Linux Fdisk (find KillDisk in the Download Zone)

2. As for linux distros to learn linux, i would install Mandrake or SuSe.

Or if you want a REALLY basic linux to play around with, download and install Feather Linux, - can fit on a 64MB USB Stick :)