Dell D630 + SIM Card

Discussion in 'Drivers and Firmware' started by spaceghostctoc, Dec 8, 2007.

1. spaceghostctoc

spaceghostctoc Geek Trainee

Hello and thanks for reading my story, but I want to give as much details as possible.

I have a Dell D630 and I'm currently in Kuwait and was curious about how to use the sim card slot under my battery. In this area Wantaniya is the main provider with a 3G sim card for internet use.

I typed in my service tag hoping to find the correct drivers. I'm currently running Vista Ultimate with Ubunutu dual boot. Figured work on Ubunutu later once I get Vista working.

I went to the networking tab and it had tons of drivers here are the ones I know what they belong too.
    Broadcom 57xx Driver = onboard NIC
    Dell Wireless 360 + Bluetooth = bluetooth
    Dell Wireless 1505 mini-card = WIFI 802.11g internal.

These ones I have no clue what they are for

Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband = ?
    Dell Driver (US) WLAN Card = ?
    Intel Pro Wireless = ?

If someone could tell me what they are for that would be great!

The other part of my question is which one of these do I need to get the SIM card to work? There was about 8 more drive downloads *listed at the bottom of this post* is there anyway to tell. I downloaded all them and the only one that installed was the Cingular 5500. The Vodafone and TELUS didnt work at all. I cant remember but some of the other ones said this is already installed, please remove from add/remove programs before installing.

I'm not really sure how this sim card stuff works, I put the Wantanya SIM in the bottom then went to the Dell Mobile BroadBand Card Utility, when it comes up it says any where in the US Cingular and abroad. So I'm guess it has to be a Cingular Sim only? If so this really sucks that it will only work with one carrier. I wish there was away to change this so I could use Wantanyias, other wise I have to buy the PCMCIA adapter that is close to 200 dollars.

Also is dell not keeping track of the service tags and what hardware this system has? I cant believe it would show me all them even if I dont have that hardware. What a pain....

List of Models and Drivers
    Cingular
    5500 - Installed

Vodafone Mobile

Sprint

TELUS

VZW (Verizon)

2. ayazaali

ayazaali Geek Trainee

Hi. Did you manage to sort out your SIM connection? I have successfully setup up my access to Orange UK's HSDPA services - it required just a little tweaking, because Orange's settings were not natively setup within my Dell D420's 5505 card software - I have XP, Vista and Ubuntu setup. Let me know if you need any help. Regards Ayaz.

3. sjmsmart

sjmsmart Geek Trainee

Hi

I have a D420 and do not know how to get my orange 3gp card to work in side he machine, please could help me.#

Thanks
    Simon

4. ayazaali

ayazaali Geek Trainee

Hi Simon. I just read your message. Do you still need some help setting up the Orange SIM in your D420? A.

5. aeonman

aeonman Geek Trainee

Hey. Love to hear how you got that sim drive working.

Charlie

6. hywelc

hywelc Geek Trainee

I would like to get an o2 sim to work in my dell d630, signal strength is good, i can rx sms but the profile manager seems to contain lots of vodafone profiles but no O2 ones, i cant seem to edit them either. Any help would be great
    Hywelc

7. mdkay

mdkay Geek Trainee

got the same issue with the sim card input socket behind the battery, got my sim card inserted but it aint recognised in any of the softwares installed.what i'd like is a step by step procedure to using this. all i want is to insert the sim,get the internet workin and surf,thats all!!!

8. aussieindian

aussieindian Geek Trainee

Guys,, Just found that this utility needs to be installed to get that slot activated..
    I am trying to install now... will post results later..

Drivers and Downloads