Discussion between Impotence & Egaladeist

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by Impotence, Jan 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

[OT]
    I have created this thread so that myself and Egaldeist can continue our discussion without further disrupting rebekka

This discussion started in THIS thread
    [/OT]

I don't see why my age has anything to do with this. If your trying to disregard what i say instead of actually thinking about it and creating an intelligent reply then you have definitely lost any respect i might have had for you, Richard.

I believe you are mistaken on this point, people may rely on computers as much as cars but i don't believe that the vast majority (80-90%?) of people with a computer in there home rely on it for there income in any way, unless playing games, social networking sites (MySpace etc), talking to friends on IM networks and browsing the net are essential to live.

I stand by my original statement:-

"If you can find a case where someone making a mistake installing windows / general software has actually caused them physical harm or killed them then please accept my apologies"

Notice that i am talking about SOFTWARE, unlike hardware, software cannot hurt you!

No, i don't live on my own (i have a flatmate) but you try living by yourself on a part time job while your doing a HND full time... I'm sure it can be done but i don't imagine it would be an enjoyable experience.

How dare you are suggest that i don't care about other people and the affects that my actions will have on them. I don't know of anyone who has 'mucked their computer up' doing what i suggested and i would NEVER suggest to anyone to do anything that would!

This is not an issue that has ever come up and is definitely not relevant to rebekka's thread as i have not suggested at any point in that thread that she should open her computers case.

I prefer to go with the simpler, less expensive method of not telling anyone to do something that would damage there computer. In a court i may very well be liable if i suggested something that directly (and permanently) damaged a computer but everything i suggest is with good intent.

You have made this point before and I'm now asking you not to make it again, this is not constructive in any way and you are suggesting that rebekka is not able to learn, in other words you are suggesting she is stupid which is completely unfair and totally uncalled for.

I did not suggest that rebekka learns to do this through trial and error.

Hardwareforums is here to to help people do things themselves. I have the patience to help just about anyone with any problem they are having (even if i have to dictate, step by step, over the telephone or VOIP as i have done many times for friends a family, with many of them around rebekka's level of skill).

Here you go again, yet another bash at me because of my age. Grouping me with every other person of my age or applying any stereotype you may have of teenagers to me is not only wrong, its completely unfair.

I am an adult, not a teenager. If i can be held responsible for my actions in a court of law then i see no reason or justification for subjecting me to derogatory language that suggests that i am not able or mature enough to take responsibility for my own life and actions when i can be imprisoned for them.

This point is not up for debate, if you have an issue with it then thats your problem. I Don't want to hear about it.

Perhaps i have not been exposed to the cold hard reality of life for long enough, but i always try to see the best in people and will never assume that someone is not able to learn a new skill.

I do not believe that seeing the best in people and giving them the chance to learn as negligent, i would consider myself to be a bad person if i did not offer them this chance.

I do not see how it is irresponsible to offer someone the chance to learn, or why it is negligent to do so

Coming from someone i respected these words would have meant something, however coming from you they mean nothing. I do not care for your views or feelings, the only words i will listen to from you will need facts to back them up.

I never once took offense with your method, i merely disagreed when you told rebekka that she should pay to have her computer 'repaired';-

"If your machine is infected and you don't know what you're doing ( and it's apparent that you don't ) take it to your local computer shop and have it cleaned out..."

Given that the 'local computer shop' will just reinstall windows and charge her a ridiculous amount to do it i believe that my objection was fair.

I love discussion, the more the merrier but what you claim to be "MY OWN WAY" (ie YOUR OWN WAY) is technically not your own, as it would be the 'local computer shop' that deals with it.

I will assume that you have made a mistake here, as i doubt you meant to say you take the time to appreciate your own opinions (that would be rather egotistical)

My issue is not with your help, you offered some good advice to rebekka the issue i have is that you did not even give her the chance to say if she would be comfortable installing windows, you instantly assumed that she would not be able to.

As i stated above, i do not believe that telling someone that they are not able to do something is helpful (unless what they are doing puts them in physical danger).

I also believe that i have 'grown up', unlike most people around my age i respect my responsibility (but demand my rights) and take an active interest in the world around me and will stand up for any individual or group when i believe they are not being treated fairly and i have the opportunity to do something about it.

If you truly think that helping people with whatever problems they are having is wasting your time then i do not understand why you try to help? i can only conclude that you do not believe you are wasting your time, but what are you trying to achieve?

Yes, she is... although i don't know if lucky is the right word (as anyone can get help here) I'm sure she appreciates any help we offer.

If i did, there would be no argument as i would not care what you think if i believed myself to be right all the time.

You believe you are right, i believe i am right... the idea is that we try to convince each other that we are right and *hopefully* we come to an agreement on who is right, or even decide that we are both wrong.

I'm just going to ignore that!

Didn't i suggest that if you wanted to continue this that you should PM me or create a thread in the war zone? instead you post at least another A4 worth of text in the thread

I'm sorry but i do have to admit to laughing as i read this, surely offering to help her reinstall windows instead of telling her to get the local computer shop to do it would be giving her a choice (people already know they can pay people to fix there computer!).

By your definition, you are the teenager and i am the adult in this situation.

as i said before, rebekka already knows that she can pay someone to fix her computer... giving her a choice would be offering to help her do it herself.

By telling her that she is not able to do it, and that she should/can get the local computer shop to do it does not offer her a choice.

and what makes you so sure you are right? I believe i am right, but unlike you i seem to be able to accept that this does not necessarily mean that i am right and i am more than willing to argue my point until you change your view, or you change my view.

Obviously there are more people around 25 than 45 here (i thought you where 50 anyway), the vast majority of us grew up with computers in our living rooms and now kids are growing up with them in there bedrooms. It would not surprise me if at some point soon babies have 19" touch screens at the ends of there cots to play with and it is considered normal!

I am not saying that we are better with computers, I'm just saying there are more of us who are able to understand them because more of us are exposed to them as we grown up.

Bloody OAPs

no that was not fair, but it probably shows you how i feel when you when disregard me as a teenager.

Of course i think I'm right and your wrong (just as you think your right and i am wrong), I'm hardly going to think that I'm wrong and your right and try to convince you that your right am i?

I have never told anyone to find there own thread, as its not my thread to start with.

Now this is the immature bullshit. No one will ever really respect your if you demand it (they might fear you though) and the same goes here, no one is going to be grateful or thankful if you demand that they are.

I'm sure rebekka is grateful when people try to help her, but demanding it is out of order.

2. Egaladeist

Egaladeist I am the Eg Man

It is obvious that this is a waste of my time as the point seems to have completely been lost to you...

I will make this very short and simple for you...the fact is...

I posted what I thought was in the OP's best interest...I offered my opinion, my input...another opinion for the OP to ponder...another thing for the OP to take into consideration...

that is all that it should ever have been taken as...period!

Grow up.

3. Impotence

So lets get this straight...

• You try to disregard what i say due to my age
    • you suggest that i don't care how my actions affect other people
    • You claim i am unreasonable
    • You stereotype me
    • You accuse me of being negligent
    • You call me immature
    • You accuse me of being self centered
    • You take the piss out of me repeatedly
    • You look down on me for being a 'teenager'
    • You claim that i am trying to remove rebekka's choice
    • You call rebekka stupid, along with every other non geek computer user

And you don't apologize to me or rebekka, make corrections or admit mistakes or even claim that i misunderstood anything that you have said. I can only assume that you mean every word of it.

I think your the one who has to grow up

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I hate to have to intervene on something like this, but here it is. Hardware Forums Rules And Privacy Policy <- The rules. Here's the key part:
    You both should know better. Egaladeist, you're a long-timer here. And Impotence, you're a news staffer, come on now. I understand that it's easy to get worked up about your opinions, especially since we have such a diverse community here. But honestly, the world is shitty enough as it is without us dragging eachother through the mud here too. If you guys want to go have at it in some dark god-forsaken alleyway of the Internet or otherwise, that's your business. But here you need to have respect for your HWF community, and keep crap like this out of everybody else's faces.

Yours truly,
    -AT

5. Impotence

My apologies AT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.