DNS, web domains - noob question

Discussion in 'Web Design & Programming' started by edijs, Oct 29, 2009.

1. edijs

edijs Programmer

Hey! I wanted you guys to tell me/point me to the answer to this question - if I have a website on my home computer - everything's there - a webserver listening to the http 80 port, and things set up + a registered domain name, like www.mysupersite.com; how the hell do I bind my external IP to that domain? I want visitors to be able to type "www.mysupersite.com" in their browser and find themselves on my "super site". Sorry, for the noobness, but all I get when I serach for on "the Google" is "what is a DNS server", "what is Your IP" and stuff like that...

Edit:
    Does yout ISP do the IP-to-Domain-name mapping usually or do you have to do it yourself, by buying this service off certain companies?

2. cwidner

cwidner Geek Trainee

3. DarkAc3

DarkAc3 Geek Trainee

You also need something like windows BIND to update the IP of the nameserver to the DNS incase the IP changes, j/s

4. cwidner

cwidner Geek Trainee

If you use DynDNS for this solution you don't have to worry about running your own instance of BIND since DynDNS is taking care of the DNS piece for you.

5. johnny.dacu

johnny.dacu Geek Trainee

Other little question on same topic. It's not posbile to register somehow nameservers that binds with an ip?