Do any places hire 15 year olds.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Girtho961, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

For those of you in the U.S. know to be old enough to get a job 15 is pretty much the youngest you can be. Do any of you think that a small computer store would hire a 15 year old, that probably knows plenty about computers to help a customer with their purchase (i.e. me)

2. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

no computer stores I've heard of hire anyone under 18, but Ice Cream places do. Pretty much all us 15 year old's can do is serve food or tend to old smelly grumpy people in retirement or care homes. Sucks don't it? Good thing I have a birthday in 2 months...
    Edit-Make sure you can pass a drug test :)

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Possibly, but until you're 16, it's probably going to be very tough to get any job outside of mowing lawns and being a paperboy. If your family ran a shop, then that'd be your best bet, but I'm guessing that's not an option.

Your best bet is to ask. Some employer's won't just because of how little you can work for them per week, but you'll just have to ask around. There's a saying: "It's not what you know, it's who you know."

4. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

well i know know big name stores (i.e. comp USA) would hire me but im talking about a store thats run by just a couple of people, "It's not what you know, it's who you know." my friend who helped me build my computer knows the owner, thus i have a pretty good reference there.
    Also im talking about a summer job, unless there is a limit on how many hours a 15 year old can, i would work as many hours as possible.

Yes our options are way to limited, and 1 month 3 days and Ill be 15

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

That'd be the way to start. There's still restrictions for summer, so realize that you're not going to be able to work 40 hours a week due to child labor laws. I don't remember the max hours you'd be able to work, but I don't think you'd be allowed to work more than 20-25 hours. It could be lower than that, however. By law, there's supposed to be some posters with employee's rights prominently displayed for all employee's to read.

6. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

restrictions are not cool, if i want to work they should let me
    well i guess ill have to hope for TCBY or BaskinRobins to hire me, it sucks not having any good way to make money besides chores around the house, and i did make some money building the computer for my friends mom, but how often am i gonna get requests to do that.

7. ninja fetus

You'd be surprised, I'm looking at building about 6 computers for friends/friends of friends from christmas money. I'm also going to get paid to work on a friend's home pc's by his parents. Pretty much if you can build someone's PC and get them to brag about it you're good to go.

8. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

maybe this summer when im not so busy with school I ll put an ad in our neighborhood news letter, and try to get some people interested
    Hopefully my friends can get me some publicity too
    I also need to read up some on PC repair and what not so i can be better prepared to fix problems with new builds, and be an on site PC technition for my friends.

9. ninja fetus

10. Girtho961

Girtho961 Big Geek

thanks, ill go check it out.

11. Addis

Addis The King

I know it sucks that you can't get work until 16 properly. Here computer specific jobs aren't that plentiful for our age. I did work in a computer store for work exp, so that'll probably help me with references.

You can get work in shops or cafes as a waitor or whateverboy as money is still money, but we all know what we'd prefer.

12. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

If all else fails, apply at McDonalds©

13. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Child labor laws are in place so that employers can't make you work 80 hour weeks or do really dangerous jobs (i.e. cleaning the outside of windows at the top of a skyscraper).