Do i need an AVR?

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by Arcie Aquino, Jul 4, 2011.

1. Arcie Aquino

Arcie Aquino Geek Trainee

im using this PSU
    http://www.conversense.net/power-supply/24-fsp-super-sonic-500

my pc experienced a brown out for the first time and i was very worried that it won't open or something.

can my PSU protect my pc from these kind of things?
    or do i need an AVR? what AVR can you suggest?
    can i use an AVR even if i have this PSU? or will there be problems?

2. violetblueskies

violetblueskies Big Geek

"can my PSU protect my pc from these kind of things?"
    nope. the main purpose of a psu is to convert ac to dc power in order to provide power to the components in your computer.

surge protectors are highly overrated.
    they do what they advertise and more with battery backup which isn't a bad thing.
    problem is when you have surges that are typically too quick for the expensive surge protector to ground out in time.
    yeah it will ground out eventually but it doesn't take much juice to fry/damage your components.
    i'm talking mili seconds and even nano.
    to solve your brown out problem sure get the battery backup ups or whatever, but really surge protectors only go so far for you.
    i wouldn't put too much energy in getting the super super best surge. just get something decent and with battery backup if you want.

3. Arcie Aquino

Arcie Aquino Geek Trainee

thanks sir. so i can just buy a low-priced avr? i don't really need battery back up. i just want to protect my cpu as much as possible.

4. violetblueskies

violetblueskies Big Geek

A surge protection device blocks excess electricity from entering your electronic equipment. It can protect equipment from surges up to 6,000 volts.
    HOWEVER, not all surge protectors can provide the same protection. Your basic device cannot withstand the voltage intake that a power surge station can.
    The risk of overflow is measured in Joules. A surge protector with a high Joules rating will last longer than one with a smaller rating.
    Even with a high Joules rating, a device will not last forever. Even the best surge protectors should be replaced every two years.
    Joules Guide:
    200 – 1000 Good
    1000-2000 Better
    2000+ Best​

5. violetblueskies

violetblueskies Big Geek