Does CPU power and Ram really effects the gameplay?

Discussion in 'New Build / Upgrade Advice' started by freemmaann, May 25, 2010.

1. freemmaann

freemmaann Geek Trainee

Ok.. upgrading my pc..(only keeping CPU, case and HDD from the old one) so the final build will be GPU - XFX HD5870 (which is a freakin beast!!!), CPU- Amd Athlon 64 x2 (4400+ model which has 2.3 ghz per core, so 4.6Ghz total) and 4 gigs of ddr2 800/1066. The GPU is extremely powerful, but will the other components slow it down? Will i even gonna be able to see that Graphics Card full potential in gaming? (also planning to overclock if i can get the freakin fan that just dont appear in the store).

Also.. sorry for asking so many questions on this forum.

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

hi, also depends on your motherboard if you have a pci-express x16 2.0 controller (4GB/s) bus frequency/cap. as you currently own a pci-express x16 2.0 card. if you have a pci-express x16 1.0 know as x8 mode,slot on your motherboard the motherboard is the bottleneck as it will have a bus cap of 2GB/s when your card is capable of 4GB/s.

post back with your motherboard amek and model and i will let you know :)

3. edijs

edijs Programmer

I second what Bobby said. Additionally, I'd like to say that the other parts are way outweighed by the video card. You'll have to get newer components. At least the CPU should be a 960 Black Edition, the RAM is on the border, but still ok, I think.