Doom 3 Crashes

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by Waffle, Sep 21, 2004.

1. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

...got doom 3 today, installed etc. Got to the point where you go down the elevator to Mars City - like five minutes into game.

Game, for no reason, crashes straight to the desktop. Same thing happened, at the same point on the demo version I downloaded, only this had a message "appcombat.txt" or something like that.

Any ideas?

Drivers are updated. I have DX9.C. Could that screw stuff up?

Thanks

2. Addis

Addis The King

I wouldn't think DX would be the problem. I can't help you here since one of my games do that and i don't know why.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If you're using the beta Catalyst 4.9's, that could be a problem. Basically, they were released pretty shortly after D00M 3 came out because of some poor performance. Also D00M 3 uses OpenGL if I'm not mistaken, which happens to be a weakness of ATi. The other thing I'm thinking could be a problem is overclocking. People have had to turn down their OC's, and sometimes even underclock their cards some from stock speeds, due to how D00M 3 stresses the graphics chip.

4. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

I was using the beta 4.9. I rollbacked the driver, and all works fine. Thank you.

5. Cooper

Cooper Geek Trainee

That happened to my friend too. He had older drivers and every 5 minutes it would crash to desktop. Kinda funny, because he actually beat the game like that before I fixed it for him.

6. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

ATI's weakness is OpenGL? i have always found that ATI cards are weaker at Direct3D, i mean in CS i can run either in Direct 3D or Opengl fine with my X800, if i use my 9600XT 128mb, and use Direct3D its almost unplayable...

and the difference in FPS using D3D to Opengl on my X800 is like ALOT. but not enough to make a difference to the eye..

7. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

CS is an old game being run on the latest and greatest hardware. I think it's normal we see compatibility problems.

8. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

I'm amazed it's still being played on some of the rigs the leet gamers have...dude, if I had a system like some of these guys do, I would not be playing CS.

Although gameplay is still more important, I guess.

9. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Just wait until CS:source comes out! CS on the half-life2 engine!

10. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

ay...that'll be sweet. seen the trailers? The head shot in one looks damn fine!

EDIT - bored of Doom 3's lack of ragdolls after death? Kill a HellSpawn/Minion/Zombie/Marine/Whatever, but don't Gib em up. Then hit the following buttons - CTRL + ALT + ~ (Tilde) to bring up the cheats menu etc.

type in set g_dragEntity 1 then hit enter. hit ~ again to close the panel.

Now you'll notice your cross hair has changed. Point at the enemy you just killed, click and hold the mouse. Move around, and the body follows. Mouse goes up, corpse goes up. Mouse slams to the left, corpse flies across room and bounces...have fun! (I know I did, but then again, I get amused real easy)

type set g_dragEntity 0 to get rid of it. Or just hit "UP" arrow key at the panel and then change 1 to 0.