Drive C is full but it shouldn't be.

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by mahmood, Sep 29, 2006.

1. mahmood

mahmood Geek Trainee

My drive C is 7.8 GB. I install all the programs on drive D but most of the time more than 5GB of drive C is full.

I recently keep getting the message that my drive C has not sufficient free space for Windows XP. I checked the drive to see what fills the drive but I couldn't.

when I click on drive C icon on my computer I see only 217 MB free space out of 7.8GB but When I select all the files and folders on drive C and check the size by rightclick > properties it is only 3GB.

What do you think fills my drive and what should I do?

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Do you have any big file loaded on your desktop??? or under My Doccuments, Music etc.... Also right click on Programs folder under C:/ drive and see how much space its taking..

3. mahmood

mahmood Geek Trainee

Aren't my documents and descktop files on the C? I selected all the files and folders on drive C and the total size was about 3G.
    By the way, all files on my documents and desktop adds to only 10M.

4. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

What do you get when you right click on the whole C drive and in properties..?
    Also, if you are doing by selecting files and folders then I think there are some hidden folders/files which you need to unhide to look at their properties. For that, go to MyComputer > tools > folderOptions > Under View Tab > Select Unhide Files and folder.....

5. Rusty S

Rusty S Geek Trainee

Lol, similair problem here. My C: apperently uses 4.54 GB out of 9.30GB. When I select all the files in it, they total to 2.5GB.I install all my programs / whatever on a seperat 40GB Hard Disk... Windows has the entire C: for itself.

Anyways, I think the rest is used up by the pagefile, which Im pretty sure windows doesn't recognize when you select all the folders. My Page file is 1152mb, and I also set a cache of 1024mb in firefox. I think that the pagefile, and possibly internet cache are responsible... but im to lazy to do the math ;)

6. mahmood

mahmood Geek Trainee

I unhided all files but still the same.

If I right click on drive C icon, I can see that the drive is about full but when I open drive C and select all files and rightclick > properties only 3G of 7.8 is full so I cannot find out which files has filled up the drive. :confused:

7. edijs

edijs Programmer

seen such things myself. try to download some specialized computer programs to clean your HD + the registry. After cleaning, defragment it with windowses native defragmenting utility or some other popular third party software...

May I suggest EasyCleaner?

8. mahmood

mahmood Geek Trainee

OK, I downloaded EasyCleaner and found out that the problem is with pagefile. Now what do I do? Can I and is it safe to delete pagefile?

EDIT: The problem seems to have been solved now. I reduce the size of page file and voila, everything is ok now.

9. Yuchao719

Yuchao719 Geek

Which Windows version do you use?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016