Drive Space 3

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by do50, Feb 26, 2005.

1. do50

do50 Big Geek

I'm on mother in law's laptop... IBM thinkpad 1412 It has 4 GB hardrive separated into two 2 GB drives. One is almost full. Freezes and is slow when it does work. We're not using any compression. Can we combine the two somehow? Can you give me some REAL SIMPLE (idiot proof) directions? Leaving here late tonight, so ASAP please. THANK YOU!

Forgot to tell you that it's Win 98

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

I'd suggest leaving it like that, and doing a clean install. If after installing Win 98 there isn't enough space install only the "required" programs on the second partition. This will keep the important files away from the OS files.

I have used Partition Magic before it allows you to combine two partition togeather but does cost. I'm not aware of any freeware but maybe someone else is?

3. do50

do50 Big Geek

Thanks for the reply! Clean install is what it's going to get, but for the moment we have to keep everything that she has on it (which really isn't very much in the way of files we can see).

So at the moment this addtional empty drive is it more or less a locked empty closet with no operating system or anything on it?

4. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

from what I can understand, yes!

5. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

you might be able to reisize the main partition and just do away with the 2nd one all together

6. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

why not move the files to the other partition? you can uninstall and then reinstall onto the second partiton.

also move all work/personal files to the second partition.

7. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

you could backup the stuff you wanna keep then go through windows installation and just delete the two partitions, which would make one 4gig one, format that and install 98.

www.bootdisk.com if you need a disk with fdisk etc etc.

8. do50

do50 Big Geek

At last try it locking up just going on line to read your ideas. Definitely time for a lobotomy!

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.