Dual Video Cards Reboot

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by oskar52, Feb 27, 2015.

1. oskar52

oskar52 Geek Trainee

My 6 months old Asus X750JN laptop has an Intel HD Graphics 4600 display adapter and Nvidia GeForce 840M card. At the beginning the laptop used to always reboot twice, like I will get to the users account sign-in screen and after I input my password it will reboot. Finally I resolved this issue by disabling the Nvidia and all was ok then.

Last week I install 8GB additional RAM (total now is 16GB) plus a new SSD which is my boot drive and re installed windows 8.1 from the recovery partition. All went fine but now after I wake up the laptop from sleep and put my password, it re boots again.

So I disable the Nvidia from the device manager, re boot and all seemed ok. Then decided to remove the Nvidia software and after a reboot I got the message “Fatal Error, Video DXGKRNL”. Luckily the laptop went by itself thru a few reboots and re installed the Nvidia but still have the problem of double booting.

My question is how can I safely remove the Nvidia? I only use my laptop to work with Access and Excel and have no need for HD graphics if this is what Nvidia is for

Thanks

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

Perhaps you can disable Nvidia from BIOS. If not, then it's very hard to completly disable Nvidia graphics. Altough probably you can manage 3D settings from Nvidia control panel and adjust it to use Intel as primary graphics.

3. oskar52

oskar52 Geek Trainee

That's what I did but I did the disable thru the device mgr and all looks ok. Checking the control panels for both Nvidia / Intel, there is nothing in there to control one or the other.

Thanks for the help

4. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

You might try a few different drivers for the 840M and see if that fixes the reboot issue.

5. oskar52

oskar52 Geek Trainee

Perhaps I'm wrong but the NVidia 840M has given me problems since I got the laptop and now with only the Intel graphics it works just fine. I think if I could remove the NVidia completely from the laptop I would be happier. Itt sounds good the idea to try a new driver but who knows what would happen with it? May be I would not be able to boot at all?

With my older Dell laptop (it also has NVidia) I remember I had a MS update for the NVidia and after I install it the OS crashed and had to do a complete restore!

6. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Worst case scenario is you might have to boot into safe mode and uninstall the driver.
    Personally, if I was having that trouble when I bought something, I would've been in contact with Asus or returned the thing.
    You can also set a restore point before making a change, so at worst, you'll be at the same spot you are now.

7. oskar52

oskar52 Geek Trainee

Very good points but why bother since the laptop works nicely and I have no need for better graphics?

But you are right, might as well get working what the laptop has and I paid for. I do like configuring and I want everything to work like a clock so in the near future I will make a restore point and I will do as suggested.

As for Asus, their service is non-existent and that’s too bad because they do make good machines. I did try to contact them (phone + email) but I think there is a language barrier there and I gave up. Before buying the Asus I bought two Dell’s (my preference) but I returned them because both had touchpad problems and the Asus I got I like it and new that it was just a config problem

Thanks for your time

8. oskar52

oskar52 Geek Trainee

I did enable the Nvidia driver from the Device mgr. and using DirectX diagnostic tool I got:

Nvidia GeForce 840M
    DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
    Device Type: Render-only Display Device
    Total Memory: 4020MB
    Driver Model: WDDM 1.3
    No problems found

In the device mgr. I clicked on check for diver update and MS said that I have the latest driver

I rebooted twice and it looks like all is fine now however since the laptop works just fine with only the Intel display adapter, what is the advantage of having two display devices?

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Based on the 840M inclusion, I would imagine the laptop was either meant to power multiple displays and/or function as a gaming laptop. Current Intel CPU's commonly have a low-end graphics component, which would likely be used for everything but gaming or other graphics-intensive work. If you're gaming with it, you've paid for something non-functional. If not, you paid for something you don't use.

10. oskar52

oskar52 Geek Trainee

Unfortunately the laptop started again with rebooting for no reason, like I will be working on Excel or Access and she will reboot. So I disable again the NVidia from the Device mgr. and this is for good now – NVidia to my experience is not good for this laptop.

Excluding the NVidia which I don’t care very much since I do no games, I like my Asus and last September when I bought it online from Staples Canada was on sale and I did not even new that it had NVidia. I had seen the same laptop in local stores and liked the keyboard feel, the Intel i7-4700HQ 2.4GHz, the 750GB HDD and 8GB RAM. It looks / feels like a solid laptop and I’m happy with it (excluding the NVidia, lol).

Thanks so much Big B