Dvd Drive Disappearing Shortly After Windows 7 Installation.

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Tommy B1983, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Tommy B1983

Tommy B1983 Geek Trainee

Hi there,
    I have just built a new pc but my Dvd drive keeps disapperaing shortly after I install windows 7.
    Everything works just find, windows installs normally but when i start to install a program or driver from a cd the installation freezes and the dvd drive stops functioning. After a hard restart the dvd drive is no longer visable in the bios and windows wont start up.
    The drive is about 5 years old and worked perfectly on my previous computer which also ran windows 7. The only way I can get the drive to reappear is to unplug the sata cable from the motherboard and plug it into another free sata slot. Windows then starts but the problem quickly happens again when I try to install anything from a disk. I thought it might be a specific program that was causing it but I have tried installing from other disks and the same thing happens. I have also tried using a different sata cable but made no difference.

Does anybody know what might be causing this?

Thanks.

2. Wicked Mystic

Wicked Mystic Big Geek

DVD drives cost about 10 dollars so they are not made for last. I suggest buying new drive.

3. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Could be the sata cable is bad, Also try pulling out the Bio's battery for 5 to 10 minutes to reset the Bio's.. Try another dvd/cd to test the one you have is bad..