Dvd/rw

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Moobrack, Oct 25, 2001.

1. Moobrack

Moobrack Geek Trainee

Hey guys,
    I am just wondering what you think about the DVD/RW drives that are out in the stores, They have dropped in price from £650 to £500 brand new.But they only write at 2 speed and re-write at 1.
    What are your views on this item?

Thanx a lot!

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

i think they would be good for backing up but as for anything else a waste of money or unless you wish to make your own dvd's :)

3. syngod

syngod Moderator

Well since I have the Pioneer A03 drive I can give a recommendation for it, if all you plan to do is back up data or use it for your own home made movies.

Due to the fact it can only record a single layer it is limited to 4.7GB which pretty much all but the oldest DVD movies surpass.

The price range you quoted is fairly pricey or at least for here where you can pick up the drives for $799 Cdn. now, but if you have the money and want a good backup medium DVD's are alot better than tape drives :).

4. Moobrack

Moobrack Geek Trainee

If you are puting a VCD onto a dvd/rw disk you can fit 2 films on 1.I think that thats another good point that they make. A lot of people use them to pirate PS2 games aswell with them being DVD disks that the game is written on!