DVR Question

Discussion in 'TV, Movies, Anime and Manga' started by Gar0foli, Sep 1, 2006.

1. Gar0foli

Gar0foli Geek Trainee

Can anyone reccommend a big DVR that does not need special service (If they make one?) I have basic cable. Thanks.

2. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

What's DVR?

3. syngod

syngod Moderator

I'd go with the Pioneer DVR-640H-S.

For basic cable this should more than fit your needs.

4. Gar0foli

Gar0foli Geek Trainee

That one is kinda expenseive. Do you know any cheaper models. I dont think the Hard Drive needs to be that big. Also how would it work without IO, I am curious?

5. syngod

syngod Moderator

Haven't seen too much priced lower unless Walmart happens to have a house brand, or shopping on Ebay. Usually the only way to get a cheaper device is going with a TiVO or ReplayTV where they are heavily subsidized.

For HD size 160GB has pretty much become standard, may be able to find an 80GB around somwhere but I'm guessing unless their really trying to clear it out it'll be about the same price. I know for my 80GB Pioneer I paid $799US so I can't see too many companies willing to sell a brand new one for that big of a discount unless their taking a writeoff.

The only other option I can think of that would be a bit cheaper is running a TV tuner through a PC.

The DVR's should work by plugging your coax into the back and then have the coax, RCA, S-video or component run to the tv.