Electrical question

Discussion in 'Power Supplies and UPS's' started by ThePenguinCometh, Jul 7, 2005.

1. ThePenguinCometh

ThePenguinCometh There is no escape

I currently deeply engrossed in a project to get all my devices plugged in and set-up properly, having just moved into a new, larger room. However I'm starting to get concerned about the sheer volume of cables that are hidden behind my monitors. I have to admit that I'm quite clueless and electricity so I've no idea really whether I'm about to blow something up or if I'm just being paranoid but I wanted to know if I should be concerned whether I'm pushing any kind of limit with the number of electrical devices I've got connected.

At the moment I've got a four-way extension lead plugged into a wall socket (UK, 240V). Into that I've plugged an eight-way surge protector which in turn has two four-way extension leads connected to it. In addition I have the following devices connected up in various points along this chain:

2 X 17" CRT monitors
    1 15" CRT monitor
    2 computers
    1 pair of 480W(apparently) speakers complete with sub-woofer
    1 pair of 13W speakers
    1 clock radio
    1 wireless access point
    1 network switch
    1 mobile phone charger (used infrequently)
    1 Discman charger
    1 100W light bulb

That just what I have so far. I also have four more (quite old) computers that I will be plugging in within the next week, and I'm always looking out for more. My question really is how many more devices can I plug into this set-up before something blows up? I could re-organize it so that I use a separate outlet from the other side of the room but that will mean buying another surge protector and I would need to know that this is actually needed before I do so. Anyone know what the limit is on the number of devices that can be plugged into a single socket and how I can work out/measure it?

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I don't know UK power conventions very well, but the concept is the amount of strain you can put on a single outlet really has little to do with the outlet. In fact, it is largely dependant on the amperage of the circuit which the outlet is tied to. Of course, how many other electrical devices which are also connected to the same circuit is also a factor.

3. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

Well I know who to talk to if the UK has a random power outage haha

4. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

I dont know exactly how many you can put in before it blows but at one stage we had 3 full pcs and two latops plugged in downstairs all running off various extension cables and they were fine.

5. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

Just don't do anything stupid like run DOOMIII on all your computers then plug in like 18 hair dryers on full blast. Just use your judgement. I never plug in more than one surge protector/power strip per socket. Not outlet, socket :) I have one about ever 4 feet in my room :)

6. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

No offence, but it sounds like you guys don't know how power works. There is no magic formula to how much you can plug in to a single outlet. Power operates in a closed circuit. It's up to what the circuit can handle; the outlet has very little to do with it. If he has a 20 amp circuit with little or nothing else feeding off it than the things he's plugged in, he could conceivably have a dozen PCs feeding off it without problems. On the other hand, if he has a say 10 amp circuit and if lots of other things are pulling power from that curcuit (lights, appliances, etc), he might only be able to plug say one PC into that outlet without having problems.

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

AT is right on the money. It's a core concept in electrical (and electronics) engineering.

The main points here (very quickly)
    V=I x R, where V=Voltage, I=Amperage, and R=Resistance.
    Resistance is measured in Ohms (denoted by an Omega symbol), Voltage and Amps are V & A, respectively.

In audio, Resistance seems to be referred to as Impedence (judging by the use of the Omega symbol).

Sniper and Anti-Trend like this.