EMERGENCY HELP please

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by hdfk, Aug 15, 2005.

1. hdfk

hdfk Geek Trainee

hi, i am building my own computer and have so far put a ATA sata harddrive a sound card motherboard and psu, when i tried to boot it to see the led fans it booted for about 15secs and then turned off, is this because i dont have any ram graphics card and processar installed? or is it worse?

Thanks
    HDFK

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

you need to have the RAM and processor installed! also the graphics card, if there isn't a intergrated graphics card already.

hdfk likes this.
  3. hdfk

hdfk Geek Trainee

cool so it aint my motherboard? also the motherboard i have has a 24 pin connector but my 500w psu has only got 20pins but the manual said it should be ok but i was wondering if it wasnt

thanks

4. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

you can buy an adapter to convert 20-pins to 24-pins , yeah dont worry you do have to have the CPU and memory in to get it working, otherwise it will shut off as it knows they're not there and doesnt want to work without them.

5. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG HWF Guitar Freak

yes these are required parts, memory and cpu especially or you have nothing to store and complete processes.

a 20 to 24 pin adapter is required for that too, since your psu is not atx 2.0 compliant but an adapter will change everything and allow the system to function properly

6. hdfk

hdfk Geek Trainee

the manual for my motherboard said i dont need an adapter as ling as i put the psu lead in the right place?

7. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

well you could try it but if it were me i'd get an adapter just to be sure.

hdfk likes this.
  8. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

or else you wont get the power needed

9. hdfk

hdfk Geek Trainee

hmmmmok well ill haveto see but just incase were can i get one of these adapters? anylinks will be cool
    hdfk

10. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

11. zRoCkIsAdDiCtInG

they have them at xoxide i got mine from there

12. hardcor

hardcor Geek Trainee

It seems your new to this "game" here are a few notes:

You really shouldn't be in your computer while its on, plugged in, or if anythings, attached to it! Example:monitor. This can cause a short, or fry something! to work on your comp i suggest unplugging everything including any addition items, grounding yourself and then go ahead.(posted else were by me)

when installing the cpu be gentle!(read manual maybe) and be sure to have thermal pad /paste on a heatsink, and a heatsink on cpu! If not you will burn your cpu up in a matter of seconds.

Seen this done many of times just a warning, and good luck building buddy!

13. hdfk

hdfk Geek Trainee

I find this a little bit checky i only asked a few questions but know im not sure i should if you all think im pants, ive been into computers my whole life since my dad is a programmer and only wanted a few tips after passing my cisco course i thought i could build myu own one since i had to build one on that course to pass so im not new to this 'game' im a geek tranie like you are my friend so a little respect please

14. hardcor

hardcor Geek Trainee

I didn't mean to insult you and by no means was my last post made as an insult towards you. I assumed someone trying to boot a comp with no cpu ect, was new to building computers or the "game" as i had linked it to.
    I was just trying to be helpful sorry for the misunderstanding. :)
    You may have noticed all the post's i have made, I'm trying to help people and voice my opion like most here. I'm not trying to cause an uproar! Pardon my grammer I'm very tired.

15. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Lets all be friends :)
    Remember HWF's saying,
    'Where every one is treated equally whether you're an expert or a newbie'

16. hardcor

hardcor Geek Trainee

Wouldn't want it any other way!