error message

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by Robin1k, Apr 24, 2009.

1. donkey42

donkey42 plank

is this your routers manual ?

2. Robin1k

Robin1k Geek

The router has 7632-4 written on it

3. Robin1k

Robin1k Geek

The picture is different to the router I have

4. Robin1k

Robin1k Geek

Well sorry Guys but I can't do this any more. I'll try again tomorrow but I think it's going to have to be a new laptop. I can't belive an inanimate object has beaten ME/US
    nite

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

i was trying to setup a remote connection from me to you, but it's non easy, will retry tomorrow, if it' ok

6. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

My first port of call would be to try and compare the two laptops running windows. Right click on the wireless connection (control panel, network connections). Then click on the 'Configure' button next to the name of the network adapter.

look at the settings on the laptop which can connect to WWW and mimic the settings as best you can on the laptop which cannot.

If all settings are identical, then try the router settings. This may be untrue but I think I saw somewhere that wireless routers have a limit of attched devices. If this is the case, just make sure you are not trying to use too many devices at once. If you have a PS, Xbox or a Wii or all three and they are connected to the wireless, they need to be considered as well... if they are connected to the network.

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

been thinking about your prob
    each device on a network MUST be assigned an IP (including the router) so have you being wondering why you can only be online with 2 devices at any one time, count the number of devices you want to access the net, and set DHCP to that number plus 1 (for router)

am i right Saba ?

Edit:
    the number of devices is usually set by DHCP and the max value is about 254 (for wired devices) and wireless is almost infinite

8. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

To be frank, I never bothered my pretty little head with this as my router obviously does it automatically, probably via pre-configuration from my ISP.
    The short of it is, I have no idea. Your explenation does make sense but I canot say I experienced it this way or otherwise... :eek:
    Sorry... my expectation would be that the router will not restrict numbers of devices by default.... just my logic.... :x:

Update:
    Hey, Donkey! You are spot on. I just checked my router and under LAN IP Setup I have an option to enable/disable my router as a DNS server. If the box is checked, I can assign a range of IP addresses, i.e. xxx.xxx.x.1 to xxx.xxx.x.254

Perhaps Robin has a very limited range?

9. donkey42

donkey42 plank

what, i'm right - it's kinda an unsettling feeling, as i'm usually wrong (as you know Saba)

dunno, i think it's specific to each router[ot]it nearly sound like i know what i'm talking about, SsHhuddder[/ot]

10. Robin1k

Robin1k Geek

Hi Guys
    Thanks for all your help.
    Unfortunately the problem is still on going I have resigned myself to accepting that a gremlin has taken up residence. I am going to continue changing settings but I hold out little hope.
    IF and thats a BIG IF it works I will post it on here.
    Thanks again for your continued support.
    Robin

11. donkey42

donkey42 plank

rest assured i am doing research it TCP/IP hoping to solve this prob, i'm now taking it personal (cos i can) and your system will lose, keep me updated as to the settings changed as observing changes in behavior when settings are changed from & to something else may help i diagnosing the prob

BTW: reviewing thread history