EVGA 512mb 7800 GTX benchies!

Discussion in 'Benchmarking' started by gex18, Dec 16, 2005.

1. gex18

gex18 Geek Trainee

3d Mark 01 - 29058
    3d Mark 03 - 19765
    3d Mark 05 - 9590

So close to the 30k, 20k and 10k barriers. GFX card is at ctok speed, cpu cloked to 2.5 ghz! Any way of improving score? Other than adding another 512mb card?

2. pelvis_3

pelvis_3 HWF Member For Life

Better CPU and better RAM!

3. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

You said your gfx card is at stock? Get RivaTuner and overclock the sucker. The Athlon FX league would help as well for your cpu if your in the market for some odd reason for a new proc. Maybe another gig of Geil 1 series ram perhaps?

4. gex18

gex18 Geek Trainee

My updated rig is as follows;

AMD 4400+ x 2 @ 2.5 ghz
    DFI LANPARTY NF4 sli mobo
    EVGA 512mb 7800GTX
    Corsair 2GB DDR XMS4000PT TwinX (2x1GB)
    Hiper 580w Modular PSU
    Samsung SpinPoint P SP2504C 250GB SATA-II 8MB Cache
    Vapochill XEII case / cooling

IS this rig ok? Also in the biso there is an option to tweak the RAM between Auto / 1T and 2T (sorry cant remember name!), and also to activate SATA II on the hdd (beleive at default it is SATA I), do i have to downlaod some drivers? If so do samsung provide them?

5. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

You should enable SATA II in your BIOS to get faster speeds from your hard drive.

And your rig is awesome, puts me to shame.

6. gex18

gex18 Geek Trainee

Well i have upped the cpu from stock 2.2 and is now at 2.64ghz, and i finally broke the 30k 3d mark 01 barrier ;

http://service.futuremark.com/servlet/Index?pageid=/orb/projectdetails&projectType=6

however 3d mark 03 is still in the high 19000s ;

http://service.futuremark.com/servlet/Index?pageid=/orb/projectdetails&projectType=10

and 3d mark 05 is still in the mid 9000s ;

http://service.futuremark.com/servlet/Index?pageid=/orb/projectdetails&projectType=12

with gfx card still at stock, considering ocing this, but paranoid after frying 7800gt using coolbits (least think thats what caused it) !

7. Exfoliate

Exfoliate Geek Trainee

Nice rig man! Though the FX or highend 64 standard leagues (FX 53, 4000+ etc.) are better for gaming dual-core is nice for the furture and multitasking.
    Check your GPU temps, if they're below 60*C then a little OC won't cause any problems. Just keep it at about 70* or below.

8. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

Your rig is almost exactly the same as mine :) (except the graphics cards)

anyway.. Adding a better CPU or More RAM will not increase your 3dmark scores that much.. what WILL increase your benchmark will be the speed of your memory.

Now you have Corsair XMS, which - is very good memory, however it doesn't run at very good latencys..

You'd want to be running memory thats of as lower latency as possible, this will dramatically increase your scores over any other hardware change.

Your Corsair XMS is good memory, but it will only be running at: 1T-2-4-4-8 if your lucky, what you want is some GSkill PC4400 which will run @ 1T-2-2-2-5 @ 250-280FSB (allowing you to keep the low latency memory whilst overclocking it.

A RAM’s CAS latency consists of 4 numbers, such as 2-2-2-5, which correspond with CAS – tRCD – tRP – tRAS. Your memory essentially is split into four parts, CAS - tRCD - tRP & tRAS, each of these allows the memory to communicate to different components in your computer.

Corsair XMS PC4400 will run at 1T-2.5-4-4-8 or something, most likely higher latencies as your FSB is quite high, and the higher the FSB the slower the memory latencies typically are.

Now the fastest memory on the market is GSKILL, you can find it @ www.overclockers.co.uk or other similiar retail stores (i recommend overclockers as they are great quality and competatively priced).

You can buy GSkill PC4400 or GSkill PC4800 DDR1 / DDR2 that runs @ 2-2-2-5 @ 260FSB or faster, alot of the time, if you have a DFI board or an Asus board a motherboard thats a good overclocker, you can force the CAS latency to 1.5 or 1!

I would recommend if you really really want a big difference to sell your XMS and buy some Gskill. You will notice a huge difference, + it will greatly improve loading times.

Essentially now a days the performance of computers are not down to clock speeds but down to low memory timings, hyperthreading and memory cache of the cpu.

9. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

also, think about removing your GPU's HSF and applying some Artic Silver or BH-5 Silver to the GPU core. This will most likely reduce your temperatures from 5-10C on standard non modified cards.