Excel, Add character to end of each cell

Discussion in 'General Software' started by zeus, Oct 7, 2006.

1. zeus

zeus out of date

I need to put a comma after the text in all my cells, ie A1, A2, A3 etc

Does anyone know how I can do this? I tries saving it as .csv and opening it in notepad but the commas weren't there. Its a bit odd because tab delimited files have the tab space in notepad.

Also does anyone know how I can change my rows into columns?
    ie instead of A1, A2, A3 etc I might well need it to be A1, B1, C1.

Ive got a list of images in column A and need to do a search for them on my hdd. Last time I had a text wrapped word file with all the file names from excel and a comma after each one. It was almost a year (to the day!!) since I did this last and I simply cant remember how to use excel!

2. donkey42

donkey42 plank

dunno, sorry - i'm no expert in excel

3. zeus

zeus out of date

Thanks Donkey. "Transpose" was the word I needed to help me finish it off! I use matrices in maths all the time which involve transposing but the word just didnt pop up in my head when searching with google.

After very nearly throwing the screen out the window; ive done it!

Open list in excel, save as webpage, open webpage and copy text. Open Quattro Pro, special paste text, select cells, tools, numeric, transpose. Save as ascii comma delimited and Ive got my list. ready to open in notepad.
    http://www.hardwareforums.com/gallery/files/290-untitled.JPG

I just hope I dont forget typing that in here for next time!

I didnt need to put a comma on the end of each cell after all. But its possible using =A1&"," in cell B1 then by copying the formula down list.

4. donkey42

donkey42 plank

no, the ampersand (&) is used to make a cell / cell absolute, that means the row number can change but not the column or vice virsa (e.g.
    • &A1 = column abolute
    • A&1 = row absoute
    A1& - i dont think this would make any sense to excel, but i could be wrong, this crap has being dragged kicking & screaming from my stupid memory, it been about 10 years since i did anything with excel, and that was excel 95, so i wouldn't be supprised if they didn't work

5. zeus

zeus out of date

6. donkey42

donkey42 plank

oh! right, well if it work then go with it[ot]i've being thinking about it and i thought you put a "+" before an item you wanted to put in a cell script, oh well never mind[/ot]

7. zeus

zeus out of date

well I didnt forget :)

Im just bumping this to the top so I dont have to keep searching for it! Selfish I know :)

Im so glad I wrote these steps down for myself, I always forget how to do this.

Rik, dont forget this....
    WPU Forums - Quattro Pro annoyance