F*%&^ng Windows!

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by Matt555, Nov 26, 2006.

1. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I got one of those messages through IM which said something along the lines of:

"Hey is this you in this photo?
    <insert random link here>"

And I wasn't concentrating, so I clicked it, bad bad bad move.

I've just spent the past 2 hours try to remove the virus and software that came through, needless to say it wasn't pleasant, I've done 5 scans with all of my various scanning software (that's like 5 of each) and I've had to end processes and delete files etc etc. Everytime I tried to use MSN Messenger again it'd install the software over and over again and put the files back in their places, so I had to scan, remove the files, remove MSN Messenger, scan again, check the directories to make sure the files weren't there, re-install MSN Messenger only to find that the f*%^$ng files were back and needed to be removed by ending processes, making sure they weren't starting up (Start > Run > "msconfig") and then removing and scanning again *just to be sure*.

Why Microsoft, why do you have to create such a shoddy excuse for an Operating System.

Oh you may be asking why I was using Windows at the time, well I was playing some games which I haven't yet tried in Linux and I decided to use MSN Messenger for a short period afterwards.

Well I'm hoping the virus has gone but I'm backing up my data anyway as I have an assignment (consisting of an entire website with fully documented code and original content, plus an 800 word report) due in 5 days, so I figured it'd be best to back it up.

FFS

2. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

lol...u really got tricked!...m jst waiting when Microsoft will also allow its MSN messenger attatched in email account like Google......Yahoo has announced it already bt i'vent seen it in action yet....

Things which I do when any computer suffer from viruses are....
    Scan Registries with Reg. Mechanic in Safe Mode(first must do thing coz it gives access to lots of things for other stuff)....
    Then Deep Scan for Viruses in Safe Mode....
    Scan Adware nd stuff...
    Problems had gone definitely in my cases......

3. Addis

Addis The King

My advice is to install what games you can in Linux, ut2k4 has native compatibility with Linux so theres no excuse.

pwned :p

4. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

This is a pernament cure for all windows related problems!

Make Sure you have up to date backups of everything before you start (and a ubuntu install cd :p)

Code:
    at <time in 24 hour format + 1 min> /interactive "cmd.exe"

This will bring up a terminal with System Privilages (Root :D) after 1 min (or at whatever time you specified).

Code:
    cd C:\   //or the root of your drive
    rd * /S /Q

Conratulations, you have now deleted just about everything on your drive! (now use the ubuntu cd :p)

[ot]
    For anybody wondering why cmd comes up with System Privs when using 'at' its beacuse svhost has system privlidges!

this might actually be usefull for Anti-virus scans... you can bring up explorer with system privs by doing the same, killing explorer and bringing it back up using the system priviledged command prompt...

of course it also means any malare will be running as system too.... but hey :p
    [/ot]

5. Addis

Addis The King

How will you do that while Windows is running?

6. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

@ Impy

Nice :) I didn't know about that. Just tried it at work, hoping I could give myself admin rights but it gave me an 'access denied' error.

7. Impotence

@Addis

I've never tried it, but i'm sure it will delete enough to BSOD itself before reboot.... if not it will after a reboot! (anyway, why would you delete everything before formatting anyway? :p).

@Mega

Just remove the admin password with a bootable disc, then right click >> run as >> Administrator ! (Might work)

8. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

LOL- Good one! But do yourself a favour.... use Kubuntu... much more atractive and not so brown... hehe

Windows..... pfffffffffff.

0WN3D

9. Impotence

I Have a strange dislike of kubuntu... well, not really a dislike... just i prefer the default looks of Ubuntu over Kubuntu (and it takes me about a month to bother changing the background!

10. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

Kubuntu Edgy looks horrible. Bad choice of colours and even worse choice of fonts. Plus theres a stupid bug that makes bold fonts too bold. I've got it looking okay now though, I installed the KDE polyester theme. :)

11. Addis

Addis The King

I can't stand the dull, disgusting brown that is GNOME. KDE is just better for the eyes and better for productivity.

12. StimpE

StimpE lol, Internet!

To whom this may concern,

THIS IS A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:

DUE TO POLITICAL STRESS THE INTERNET WILL BE SHUT DOWN AND TRACED

Thank you for your co-operation on this matter,

The Management.

13. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I agree that KDE is better than Gnome, but more importantly, so does Linus Torvalds:

Man, Linus flamed the Gnome guys right on their own mailing list. Harsh! ...but hilarious. :)

14. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

Haha, awesome!

Linus pwns.

15. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

For those that say "I use Gnome because it's simple", I have two words for you: try Xfce. It's faster, it's lighter, it looks and feels a lot like Gnome, and it's still probably got more functionality out-of-the-box than Gnome. Do yourself a favor and at least try it out. Of course, for those who want a powerful desktop, KDE is a good option, being simultaneously faster, more robust and more customizable than Gnome.

16. Matt555

Matt555 iMod

I love KDE :D

*Matt hugs his laptop*

17. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I hate Gnome. Features is probably one reason. It's really dumbed down, IMO. I feel constrained by it, where I don't get that with KDE. I make a point to have KDE installed and Gnome not. The only thing I can think of that I'm that particular about a specific setting is the blasted Office Assistant (disabling).

18. Impotence

How is Gnome Dumped down? IMO its Simple and efficiently laid out... 3 menu's split things into applications, places (Home etc) and Administrative... unlike kde's windows style one menu.

KDE has a better file manager (tabs), but I’m sure I could find a nautilus style manager with tabs if i looked.

If you want the shiny glossy looks of KDE, try the "Vinsta" theme. Ubuntu doesn’t Gnome no favors with its human theme.

19. Addis

Addis The King

The whole GNOME suite is under-featured IMO because of internal UI politics. For example, the terminal emulator in GNOME is really not as as good as Konsole. The default konsole settings are great, yet its got a lot of options to customise if you want to. Same goes for a lot of other GNOME "counterparts" to the KDE applications. For someone spending a lot of time using a terminal emulator, choice is critical.

A problem also is GTK itself, initially designed as the graphics toolkit for the GIMP, but building a whole desktop environment and applications seems a bit too much. I think Firefox suffers as a result of using GTK. If it used Qt like Opera does then it might fair better in the performance tests.

GNOME may be preferred to give it to your grandma as the default DE, but even someone not technically competent could work their way with KDE, but I guess in the end its all opinions. You can't argue with the features of KDE though, and the fact that KDE is less resource intensive than GNOME strangely enough.

20. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

wait isn't this thread about hating windows and how dumb it is. Anyways I HATE WINDOWS TO WWWWOOOO, now you don't feel alone matt. On that YYEAAHH way to go the Linux masters of HF.