Fake AMD chips

Discussion in 'News and Article Comments' started by Addis, Jan 4, 2005.

1. Addis

Addis The King

Xbit Labs says that there were a million AMD processors which were relabelled/modified and sold at a higher price in Southeast Asia and Germany aswell. These chips were relabelled and illegally tampered with to resell.

The scales of the illegal manufacturing were relatively high: according to the report the police seized nearly one million of AMD chips, either relabeled or not, with value measuring in hundreds of millions of Chinese Yuan. According to the report, the chips were primarily designated to ship into Southeast Asia, however, were also supplied to China and even Germany. It is unknown, whether the fake chips are sold in retail, or installed into PCs.

Remarked CPUs may work unstably, malfunction and probably lack any overclocking potential, a capability that is valued by computer enthusiasts.

2. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

Strange... Im sure glad i didnt buy one of those

3. Dave35k

Dave35k H4ck3r

lol i wondered if i have one, i have a 1.4 gig thats wonky lol cool :good:

4. Addis

Addis The King

Really? How would you know. Since there has already been hundreds of thousands of chips how would you know yourself that yours wasn't one of those batches? Some smaller vendors have already started to check which chips they got.

5. Addis

Addis The King

well if you havent' heard yet AMD have started to put advanced 3D holograms onto their PIB (processor in a box) products. This uses the new Dupont Izon technology which has multiple layer and is extremely difficult to duplicate. Likely to do with the 60,000 CPUs that went missing...

6. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

I know mine's a genuine! It'll overclock from 1.64 to 1.96 shtable.

7. Nic

Nic Sleepy Head

u know what ... i have no idea probably is fake stupid pile of junk