Far Cry 2, DRM and SecuROM!!

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by Resonance456, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Resonance456

Resonance456 Geek Trainee

Hi all,

Firstly let me apologise if this topic has been posted before, but I really need some perspective and help.

Moving on, I just found out that Far Cry 2 WILL contain the DRM software SecuROM similar to that bundled with EA's spore, but a less 'Nasty' version if you will. (see here and here for more information). Further info on how DRM was used with Spore and its results can be found here

Now, I've been browsing the internet only to find out now that some PC gamers who have pre-ordered are begining to boycott the game because they are 'offended' or 'upset' by this.

I would just like to know primarily HOW does SecuROM affect my PC and me as a user and does it contain any spyware/malware/or trojans etc??

I do have the game on pre-order but I am now not sure whether or not to cancel it based on this DRM/SecuROM fiasco??

Anyhelp would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

2. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

SecuROM is considered as a rootkit. This means that it 'hides' itself within Windows on a way that you can't see its files or view its processes in the Task Manager. And is also hard to remove. The computer won't act differently, but some people don't like it if there's a program installed that hides itself or is hard to remove.

I personally only hate copy protections that are so severe, that they won't run on some computers and therefore are unable to launch the game.

More information about SecuROM:
    SecuROM - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

More information about rootkits:
    Rootkit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. Resonance456

ok thanks for the info dude. got a couple more questions tho if i may.

I've been reading speculations based on what has been said about the FarCry 2 DRM and people think that Ubisoft may at some point release a patch or a hotfix that disables securom or turns it off. if true does that mean it will be completely removed from my computer or will it still be there?

secondly - how will this SecuROM affect the rest of my programs and does it act as a spyware or monitor to watch what I do and report my actions or monitor my private data?? This here is the most important thing I need to know before making my decision on not to install/return the game.

Whats your guys opinion on the matter - would you install or return?

p.s. is it possible to manuallly remove Securom COMPLETELY without affecting my system or the game?

4. RHochstenbach

I really doubt that Ubisoft is gonna remove that protection with a patch. 2K games and EA don't do that either. But if they do, it won't remove the secuROM because that would conflict with other games that use SecuROM.

It won't affect the performance of your computer, nor send your private information to a 3rd party company. It's only a copy protection that sits deep into the operating system, checking if you actually put the physical disk in the drive instead of using a mounting-program like D-Tools.

I wouldn't return the game, unless the game isn't able to run because the copy protection has issues with Windows.

Removing it from the system safely is no problem, but the game won't be able to run anymore because it depends on SecuROM.

5. Resonance456

Thanks alot man - you've been really helpful and I appreciate it.

You mentioned that 2K games used SecuROM can I ask which game that was on? because I think I read somewhere that it was Bioshock and if thats true I was 100% oblivious to this because I have it for PC and did not know that this SecuROM would be installed!!

Well, the game has been posted to me alread so I guess I may as well keep it...

... the bottom line then is this? its safe to have on my computer, does not monitor or send my private data and can be safley removed if need be?

if thats it then, then I guess I will install FC 2.

One last thing - if i did want to remove the SecuROM software - how would I go about this?

Thanks again for all your help - sorry if I am a pain lol!

6. RHochstenbach

Sure no problem :)

Yeah this was indeed the game Bioshock that used SecuROM.

You can see if a game is using SecuROM when you launch it. The mouse cursor changes into a spinning disk with a arrow next to it.

It doesn't send any private data to a 3rd party. Some people just don't like it because it stays hidden, even from the operating system.

Removing SecuROM is quite easy:
    No problem at all. We're all here to help :)

7. Resonance456

thanks for the help dude - u've been of great help - my copy of FC2 should be here tomorrow; i look forward to playing :) !!