Far Cry Sound Issues....

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by Waffle, Jul 27, 2004.

1. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

...I know about a gitch in Cry where gunfire is heard from your weapon even after you stopped firing, but does anyone else have this problem where you shoot and no sound comes out for half a second. Then after firing, the noise continues for half a second. It's not life threatening, but the game loses some effect when you shoot something, it blows up, bodies hit the floor and then you hear the explosion.

I have a Sound Blaster 5.1 Live card, Inspire 5100 Speakers and in Audio I have said I have Dolby 5.1.

Thanks.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Hmm, what settings are the sound set to in the game? Is EAX enabled? Also, is your version of Far Cry up to date?

3. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

Music is on High (auto deteced), EAX is enabled, which my speakers say they have, um, something about hardware mixing in case of problems is ticked.

Far Cry isn't up to date.

4. Anti-Trend

Patch Far Cry to the latest build, see if that helps. If not, I'd mess with the EAX settings. Remember, the Live! family only supports EAX 1, not 2.0.

5. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

gotcha.

also, im guessing eax is environment sound effects or something, but whats it stand for.

6. Anti-Trend

I Have *no idea* what it stands for... but it's a method of hardware-accellerated 3D positional sound. It's always better to have it on if it works right, but on some games I've had to disable it on my Live card. It seems some games only support the newer versions of EAX, which are only supported by Audigy 1/2's.

7. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

i see...i noticed with it enabled, when jumping under water, a very cool "water" sound like a plunge and bubbles emmited from my speakers. Without EAX, just some pathetic "sploosh".

Ok, I will try and find out EAX's meaning.

Thanks!

8. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

ok thanks.

i found a possible definition - Electronic automatic exchange

"EAX® 4.0 ADVANCED HD™ is the greatest leap forward for EAX since its inception. EAX 4.0 ADVANCED HD completely releases the processing power of the Sound Blaster® Audigy® and Sound Blaster Audigy 2 series of sound cards, allowing developers to use multiple effects at once and all of its Acoustic effects. This is a substantial upgrade for EAX since it can now support 3 reverberation effects at once or up to 4 of the new Studio FXs at once. With multiple effects, game audio is now taking a large leap forward to acoustic realism. " from soundblaster.com

9. ninja fetus

ninja fetus I'm a thugged out gangsta

sounds 'bout right. good find!

AT-EAX didn't work well with my old sb live card either.