Firefox VS IE: "Weeeeeeeeeeee!"

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by Anti-Trend, Aug 18, 2006.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Firefox has been "Walking on Fire" since it was still called Mozilla. Most of the problems with it have been tied into new features, and fixed overnight, sometimes within the hour. While I would argue if it was better written they wouldn't need to patch it so often, MS releases patches once a month, on "Black Tuesday" as it's often called, if you're lucky. Many flaws have a 6mo or longer lifespan before they are addressed.

Opera has, so far, shown itself to be a very well written and therefore secure browser. If it is ever open-sourced, we'll truly see how secure it was all this time. But on the same note, apply that same logic to IE... *shudder*

2. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Having programmed a bit, I can honestly say IE is disgusting as far as standards go. Programs which follow standards tightly might not work at all in IE, and Microsoft works very hard to keep it that way. Standards are in place to help programmers maintain/improve programs much more efficiently, but when the most popular browser goes against this simple principle, it's easy for the majority of people not to bother with the importance of standards, which hurts them in the long run !

Also, I don't even know what a pop-up looks like with FF + Adblock + Noscript.

3. Willz

Willz MiCrO$oFt $uK$ :D

I dont really know why Internet Explorer is the most popular now, i think that Opera would be if everyone used it, as its brilliant, lots of skins, secure, fast, loads of other stuff too, it should be putting IE to bed tbh.

4. Addis

Addis The King

I have to say, that despite my time using Opera I'm still using Firefox.

For a number of reasons, one of them is my personal taste. Opera renders pages very nicely indeed, but I don't like its layout. I find the layout for Firefox in terms of toolbars, and the options much more intuitive. The code seems to be very well written, but it's just not my thing.

When i was using it for a while, I had to use Firefox for a bit once and I just felt more at home here. It's like becoming sober again after being totally hammered.

IE is a joke though, its definately not underated.

5. Anti-Trend

Me too, and for the same reasons you've listed. However, Opera still has a place on my HDD and I use it pretty frequently. Firefox is simply the first thing I click on when I want to hit the Internet.

6. Willz

IE7 is the first thing i click when i want to hit the internet, then i remember i have Opera9 installed and quite IE and use Opera9. Next install of windows i think i may remove IE7, FireFox will replace IE7 and Opera9 will be the main browser i use, omg, even AOL has there own browser, and i dont mean the AOL 9 software, looks preety flashy, bet AOL is spying on me, the perverts!

7. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

The Firefox interface is too cluttered for my tastes - I prefer Opera's rather sleek and simple look. Opera's interface is more suited to tab browsing - which is a must for me considering I usually have a lot of tabs open. I don't like the rather clumsy way that Firefox handles tabs.

Also I find Firefox's download manager to be lacking - especially compared to Opera's. I would much rather see Firefox's download manager integrated into one of the tabs, rather then as an annoying pop up.

Firefox's RSS feed support isn't that great either. Sometimes it will completey fail to detect the availability of an RSS feed on a web page. When RSS feeds are set up, Firefox can only display the RSS feed title - unlike Opera it can't display the text inside the feed.

Opera is far from perfect though, and I keep Firefox installed on my computer for the odd page that Opera can't render correctly.
    Where Firefox really kicks Opera is multimedia content. Firefox can run embedded audio and video within the browser, whereas Opera has to call on an external application and load the multimedia through that instead. Also I've found that some JAVA content doesn't work as well in Opera as it does in Firefox.

So generally speaking, Firefox is a more compatible browser, but Opera is faster and sleeker :)

8. Willz

I thought Opera loaded WebPages slower than any other browser i have tried, yet i have it as my main browser because of its looks, the tabs etc..

If downloading somthing with Opera 9, and my Internet Connetion disconnects, will the download start were it stopped at, and will this also happen if the computer is turned off, or will the download start again from the biggining?

9. Anti-Trend

Couldn't agree more, although Opera9 seems to work pretty well with MozPlugger and MplayerPlugin. I use NoScript on Firefox, so I tend to use Opera for those sites which do a lot of secure redirections, e.g. credit card order forms, so I don't accidentally block the scripts on some domain and have my credit card double-billed or something. ;)

10. Karanislove

Karanislove It's D Grav80 Of Luv

Yup, you can resume your downloads where you stopped them last time in the Opera but the server you were downloading must be supportin resume download. If you are downloading any music file then you can listen to it as much as its loaded on your coputer which is not available in Firefox but you can resume your download in firefox as well.