Force Feedback going crazy

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Radar, Jan 7, 2002.

1. Radar

Radar Geek Trainee

Hello,

The man in red just brought a brand new Thrustmaster Fox 2 Pro Shock (USB) for x-mas.

I tried it with Independance War 2: Edge of Chaos and x-wing alliance.

In both games, after some time (10-15 min), the force feedback effect gets stuck, either on or off. I mean it's either always vitrating or dead...

And when I get back to base (in both games), the computer freezes in a black screen, with HDD and CD lights on.

I tried to update the video drivers, formatting & fresh install, patches, ... but nothing works.

Here's my configuration (don't laugh)

Celeron 466 - 128 Mo RAM
    Abit BH6 (bios updated)
    TNT2 Ultra w/ Detonators 21.85 and 6.50
    Sound card SB compatible w/ Yamaha OPL3-SAX
    Thrustmaster Fox 2 Pro Shock USB
    Windows 98

I guess it's hardware because formatting didn't solve the problem. I have never used my USB bus before, so are there new drivers to install ?? I don't seem to have such problems with my older Thrustmaster Flight Control System...

Anyone has a suggestion ??

Thx.

2. SETEO

SETEO Geek Trainee

Are you running Win98 the original release?.....ie. not Win98SE?. I know that release of of the OS still had probs with some USB devices, steming from the crappy Win95 'USB supported' release (Oooo, that sucked!).

And the only other obvious response, and highly predictable one at that) would be device drivers updates....as you said you had only updated your video card driver....

LOL!....and, can I just say, that whoever came up with the company name 'Trustmaster' was a damn genious!! :p

:good:

3. Radar

Radar Geek Trainee

I guess it all comes from the thrustmaster drivers. I have read that TM had shipped pads with non-functionning drivers.
    You had to download new drivers to get the force feedback to work ...

But I won't be able to change to W98 SE, since I only have W98 :(

Thx anyway

4. syngod

syngod Moderator

There seems to be some upgraded drivers from ThrustMasters site you can grab here.

I'm not sure if you already have the 3.08 drivers installed or not, if not try those and see if they work. If not I'd try contacting Thrustmaster and see if they have a posssible solution.

5. SETEO

SETEO Geek Trainee

Radar, (although I doubt it's the resolution to your prob) if you ever did want to upgrade to Win98SE I think Microsoft are still sending out the 'SE upgrade' for free to people, just have to pay the shipping.