Format/repair a write-protected USB drive with I/O errors?

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by effarga, Dec 17, 2013.

1. effarga

effarga Geek Trainee

I ordered a bunch of 1GB usb drives from a semi-shady Chinese company. Most of them work just fine, but a couple of them won't let me format them because they are "write-protected." There is no write protection switch on the device. I have exhaustively tried the following:

- Windows format: "The disk is write protected"
    - HP USB Disk Storage Format Tool: "Device media is write-protected"
    - diskpart clear attributes readonly: nothing
    - diskpart clean: "Diskpart has encountered an error: The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. See the System Event Log for more information." (The System Event Log only contains the error: The IO operation at logical block address 0 for Disk 1 was retried.)
    - HDD Low Level Format Tool: "Format Error occurred at offset 985,595,904: 1117 - Device I/O error" and hundreds of similar errors
    - Sacrificing a lamb to the USB gods
    - Starting in safe mode with command prompt and running format, diskpart, and chkdsk

So do all these I/O device errors mean that these USB drives are just totally screwed? Is there any way to get more information about the problem?

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

You've probably gone through a list of things I would have tried, so sounds like dead sticks i'm afraid.