Formatting question...

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by Waffle, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

...ok, i recently (today) got another 200gb hard disk.

i'm not switched on enough to plug it in myself, so i got a friend to do it. he put a partition in - 2 x 100gb. He only formatted one of them. so whilst i have the 100gb disk working fine, i have another 100gigs floating around somewhere.

My question is how do i format that partition to make it available to use.

I guess it's in the bios, but i don't know what to look for.

thanks.

2. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

I moved your thread, because it's a software question, not hardware. ;) To answer your question most effeciently, I'll need to know what operating system you're running.

Thanks,
    -AT

3. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

software problem eh? Ok no problem, thanks for telling me.

I'm running XP Professional, the corporate(?) edition where it is not needed to activate after 30 days.

I think it is SP1.

Thanks.

4. Anti-Trend

OK, in Windows 2000/XP, what you need to do is the following:

1) Click: Start
    2) ...Settings
    3) ...Control Panel
    4) ...Administrative Tools
    5) ...Computer Management
    6) ...Storage --> Disk Management

Let me know if you can't figure it out from there, and I'll be happy to assist you further.

-AT

5. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

you, sir, are a genius.

found it, formatted it, finished it.

thanks a lot, appreciated!

6. Anti-Trend

No problem at all. For future reference, you can do a lot from that interface.

All the best,
    -AT

7. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yup. It's very handy.

8. Waffle

Waffle Alpha Geek

oh yeah, B, you are also a genius.

not trying to win favours, lol, but everyone here rocks and have helped me a lot! thanks!

9. Anti-Trend

You're welcome, we're glad to help. And by the way, you're right, Big B is a genius. As a matter of fact, his IQ is recorded as 14,500! Oh, wait, that's his 3D-Mark score. ;)

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Well, me and Anti-Trend were both n00bs at one point, believe me. Being patient with someone who is willing to learn is always a plus. I enjoy talking about computers, so if someone's willing to listen, they can learn. (and not just from me or Anti)

11. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

i learnt the hardway for the majority of my computer knowledge.. breaking it.. 1st.

12. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yes. I learned a few years ago that every problem doesn't constitue a reinstall of Windows, and that most problems are user error. Needless to say, troubleshooting has gotten better, but I still have my "d'oh" moments. ;)

13. ProcalX

ProcalX all grown up

i have to say, i am very lucky.. all my IT knowledge i praise my father for.. if he had not encouraged me to learn to use computers at such a young age i would not have the knowledge i do now.. nor the enthusiasm!

fortunately i also have my father to thank for my more technical side.. (what i learnt first)

i learnt how to use a computer to install / uninstall / run programs music and games at the age of around 9 - 11, gaining more knowledge of computers as i went from: 286's through to the 486, then a pentium 66mhz 16mb ram then from then on our computer got slower and slower.. we then upgraded to a Pentium MMX 200mhz / 32mb sdram / 8gb hard drive.. it even had a multi-drive (one drive bay that came out of the computer that held 6 cd's in one cdrom -- easily the worst designed thing ever!)

i learnt through mistakes to start of with.. alot of breaking things e.t.c (or so the IT guys would put the blame on me..) which i later learnt the majority of people who had serviced my PC new nothing of computers.. were just Delboys but with an IT shop instead of a 3 wheeled reliant robin..

hence why i use my IT knowledge to help people with a lesser understanding.. and as BigB clearly and very understandably said the majority of the time it's down to user error..

hence by being helpful and calm, the world goes round.. and people are gradually not afraid of asking questions about the fickle world of IT :good: