Forum coding help

Discussion in 'Web Design & Programming' started by Mofrait, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Mofrait

Mofrait Geek Trainee

I'm building a website for a friend (free) and he asked me about adding a forums page, and I said "I'll see what I can do".

Bottom line is, I have no clue on how to code this. Anyone have any sites they would suggest to review code or even a tutorial?

I'd rather see code for analysis, but I know some people are anal about such things. So whatever help you wanna give, I'm happy to receive it.(I'm pretty sure they sell code for these, but I'd rather do it myself of course)

Thanks!

2. Addis

Addis The King

This forum uses the vBulletin forum software, although Sniper has made some custom modifications to it.

If you want to learn how to code a tutorial, a quick search on google for php forum tutorial should help. Other than that, you'll need to be very diligent with your coding security to protect your site from SQL injection attacks (which are quite common I'm afraid, I've done what I can for my own site). If you still want to try it, go ahead, otherwise you might want to look at free, well developed alternatives such as phpbb.

3. Mofrait

Mofrait Geek Trainee

Thanks a lot, I'll go through these soon. If I run in to trouble, I'll repost it here.

4. thehammer

thehammer Geek Trainee

You sure your friend is going to have many users on these forums? I suggest using a free provider for starters, and then if he really wants the forums customized your can resort to phpbb.
    I guess you could use something like forumer, or vbulletin as in this case.

My experience (no offence) with friends setting up forums, is a great product! With like 10 registered users after half a year.
    Of course, anything is possible :).

5. Mofrait

Mofrait Geek Trainee

Haha, yeah I'd agree. Thankfully plans have changed, and his website needs to be something more of a portfolio than a forum.

Woot!