found something cool

Discussion in 'Networking and Computer Security' started by RHochstenbach, May 23, 2007.

1. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I was reading some articles on computerworld.com. There was one article about a free online DNS server called OpenDNS. It has an on-the-fly phishing filter, and more. Also the web pages load faster. you can also create shortcuts. if you make the shortcut HWF to hardwareforums.com, then you can visit it by just entering HWF in the address bar. Thought I just let you all know about it :)

2. Impotence

Impotence May the source be with u!

I will vouch for openDNS, i have been using it for ~1 year and I'm quite happy :)

My router lets me specify 3 DNS servers so i have the 2 openDNS servers for my area and then my ISP's DNS server.... so the chance of all 3 being down at the same time are very small! :)

3. donkey42

donkey42 plank

what exactly do they do ?

BTW: should i be using a third party DNS ?

i too can specify 3 DNSs, however my ISP (virgin.net) specified 2 to enter into my router, so what exactly is the advantage of using a third party DNS ?

4. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

Some third party DNS servers can make the lookup for URLs faster, and provide some extra features for websites, like phishing filters.

5. donkey42

donkey42 plank

hewp

6. Cyberbabe

Cyberbabe Love been a Girl

Thats cool ! I'm going to look in to this hopefully this weekend if i get time, sounds good ! thanks RHochstenbach (kiss)

7. donkey42

donkey42 plank

looked into OpenDNS and my ISP has failing DNSs, and i keep getting kicked ofline[ot]i'm going to switch my DNSs to OpenDNS - and see if that works better[/ot]

BTW: hopefully it will[ot]as Impy recommended them[/ot]