Free Games Thread!

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by Anti-Trend, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

Privateer: Gemini Gold

[​IMG]

"Back in 1993 Privateer was released as part of the Wing Commander series and became a great success in the gaming industry. Over 10 years later a small group of privateer enthusiasts reintroduced the game with a new graphic engine and real 3d spaceflight.

As Grayson Burrows you inherited a small old scout class ship from your grandfather, to start over as a Privateer in a new and sparsely populated sector of the Confederation. Take your chance and become a pirate, merchant or bounty hunter upgrade your ship and experience the hard truth in a border sector where no one has anything to give away... "

This game runs on Linux, Windows, and Mac OS X.

2. Anti-Trend

Savage 2

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

"Journey back to the fantasy realm of Newerth to continue the epic battle of humans versus beast. Traditional RTS play is combined with fast action combat in a multiplayer environment. It is all waiting for you in Savage 2, download today and enjoy the entire game for 5 hours of free play time."

[strike]The game is retail and must be purchased to play online, but is completely free for LAN play.[/strike] Savage 2 is completely free as of 12/09/2008! There is a client for Windows and one for Linux.

3. Anti-Trend

GEARHEAD I & II

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

"GearHead is a futuristic roguelike game, created by Joseph Hewitt. GearHead 1 is the first roguelike to explore the world of "mecha" (giant robots). Lots of futuristic jobs and skills (mecha pilot, medic, etc.) are available, as well as piloting those mecha. A sequel, creatively named GearHead 2, is in the making." There are GearHead builds for Linux and Windows.

4. thomas234

thomas234 Big Geek

Trackmania Nations Forever - An updated version of Trackmania Nations, including new levels and a new graphics engine.

TrackMania

(My online ID is thomas234)

5. Anti-Trend

Freeciv

[​IMG][​IMG]

"Freeciv is a Free and Open Source empire-building strategy game inspired by the history of human civilization. The game commences in prehistory and your mission is to lead your tribe from the stone age to the space age..." Clone of the tried and true Civilization game. Builds exist for Linux, Mac and Windows.

6. Anti-Trend

Diaspora

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

"Project Diaspora is a 2D Space Trading MMORPG for Windows and Linux. Project Diaspora is a High quality, multi-player internet based game. Graphics are good, and game mechanics solid. Create your character or characters, buy a ship, outfit it with weapons, missiles, and equipment. Buy, transport and sell cargo at over a dozen planets in different zones of play."
    This game was just released open source and was natively built in Linux and can compile for *nix, Mac, and Windows.

7. Anti-Trend

Cave Story

[​IMG]

Slick, retro-style 8-bit graphics and music, an excellent soundtrack, silky controls, a great plotline and multiple endings. Something like a cross between Metroid, Megaman, and Symphony Of The Night, Cave Story is a modern classic you simply must play. Available in Japanese and English, with binaries for Windows and Mac. [strike]The Windows version also works absolutely flawlessly in WINE, so Linux users needn't feel left out.[/strike] There is now a fan-provided Linux port too; enjoy!

8. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

Conquer Online MMORPG
    http://co.91.com/

Perfect world MMORPG
    Perfect World

2 pics on left are CO 2 on right are PW

If you play conquer dont trust anyone everyone on that game is a hacker or scammer as you can tell from the chats in the screenshots lol

Attached Files:

9. mAson

mAson Geek Trainee

Maple Story!

10. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

I ran across Rusty Hearts as a freebie on Steam and have logged considerable time in the game. I really haven't played RPG or MMORPG's before, but it was easy to jump into this one. I believe the developer has several other games for free as well. I read about Torchlight before and it was recommended in Computer Power User (CPU).

11. Hardware Planet UK

Hardware Planet UK Geek Trainee

hey
    hey counter strike is also havinf the 2d effect which i have played .

12. dave_pradhan

dave_pradhan Geek Trainee

13. dendroaspis84

dendroaspis84 Geek Trainee

Here's another free game on Steam:
    [​IMG]