freezing when saving

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Dave d, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Dave d

Dave d Geek Trainee

hello everyone,

I have problems with my computer, when I save a large item it freezes. (large items noramly take 3+ hours to save.

Have been doing alot of video editing recently and when it comes it save the overall work (render it), the whole computer freezes, managed to copy the file though the home network and do it on my bro's pc, but I can't save to dvd as it's doing the same.
    Thought it could be power supply, or processor over heating but if i shut down and restart it, it still has the same problems but it will freeze in a different point, getting to be a very annoying problem.

Can't remember exactly what the spec is,
    if anyone can help would be really good.

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

well video editing requires an powerful computer to do the job smoothly, what are your system specs like?

Also has this just started to happen recently, if so maybe there something you have done to cause the slow down?

3. sabashuali

sabashuali Ani Ma'amin

Are you saving like saving a text file or do you meen saving as processing the video stream?

Your brothers PC freezes as well?
    I am sorry for the question but the details are not 100% clear.

Video processing, even on a pwoerful computer can take a long time. A good conversion tool can take 3-4 hours to creae a dvd. I know, been there never got a t-shirt. However, saying all this, I used to convert to DVD on a Dell PIII 650Mhz. It took a heck of a long time but never froze. When you are saying freezes. Does it freeze and just hangs as in will not do anything (is the green - writing to disk - led flashing or is it lit at all?) or does it stop and start?

You see, the symptoms sound like 'low' specs and/or overheating but the forum will never know unless you publish your specs....

Just restarting the computer will not do as overheating will re-occure.

4. Anti-Trend

Anti-Trend Nonconformist Geek

How much RAM do you have (and other system specs would be useful), what OS are you running, and have you ever defragmented your hard drive?

5. Dave d

Dave d Geek Trainee

yes only had problems when saving video files, but was no problems on bro's computer,
    but I think i've sorted the problem, down loaded a program to look at the registry, had loads of errors coming up on that and couldn't fix them.
    I have now reformatted the hard drive and it all seems to be ok. I have got 1.7 gb ram, just bought some more, thought it might help, but might end up buying new processor.
    cheers for help tho!!