Frequent hard disk failure

Discussion in 'Storage Devices' started by nroy1985, Apr 5, 2009.

1. nroy1985

nroy1985 Geek Trainee

I bought my first Seagate SATA 80GB hard disk way back in July 2006.Till today I have replaced my hard drive 4 times.This is because every time the Hard disk stopped responding.Though the Windows Xp Pro SP2 CD could detect the hard disk,but when i started formatting it and load windows ,error messages were shown.I have forgotten the error messages because every time i got different messages.
    This time the age of the replaced hard disk is only 1 month.And it stopped responding.Yesterday when i started formatting the hard disk,it stopped formatting it at 4%.After 20 minutes it resumed and completed the formatting,but while "copying files" was being performed,it stopped responding after 11% and stayed there for 10 minutes.I,then,restarted it.Has my disk crashed yet again?

Why my hard disk is getting crashed so often?Can it be the problem of some other component?

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hi, your hard drive shouldn't fail that frequent at all, should last a good few years depending on usage, if your constantly downloading all day and its constantly writing to the disc 24/7 it should still last over a year or so. what you could do is try replacing the Sata cable (data cable) also try using another sata power cable, I've had a problem like this before but with IDE the disc wouldnt boot, couldnt find my OS on the disc and kept making funny noises and freezing, turned out to be a faulty IDE cable.