Front speaker jack not working.

Discussion in 'Sound Cards and Speakers' started by Beefdawg, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Beefdawg

Beefdawg Geek Trainee

Hello everyone...I've had this problem for a long time, and now I decided to do something about it. I have a dell xps 410 and I installed a creative extremegamer card into the computer...everything works great accept for now my front audio jack does not work...Nothing happens when I plug in a set of headphones. Can someone help me out and tell me how to fix this? Thanks!

2. edijs

edijs Programmer

I assume that it did work before you installed the creative card.

Try to take the card out and see what happens.

Modern computers always have a integrated audio card. The front jack can be usually activated only by attaching special wires to the appropriate pins on the motherboard, which are effectively only extensions of the built-in audio card. Thus, if your new audio card suppresses the integrated audio card or you've disabled it altogether, then there's your problem. Unless the new card has some pins to attach the front jack wires to, you're gonna have to deal with it.

3. daz

daz Geek

Did you try different headset?

4. Beefdawg

Beefdawg Geek Trainee

Daz, I did try a different headset. Also Edijs, I think my sound card does have the connection for this, but what kind of wires do I need, and where can I get them?

5. edijs

edijs Programmer

I don't think that you can really "get" the wires, since they come with the PC case. And, anyway, if the sound card doesn't have any appropriate pins which are designated for front panel jack connection, then there's nothing you can do, really (except buying a whole new machine).

6. robert05041

robert05041 Guest

1.) Right click on the speaker icon in taskbar and select volume control options.
    2.) Make sure "All devices currently playing sound" is checked.
    3.) Make sure you have "The default communication device" unchecked.
    4.) Make sure you have a check mark on both speakers and headphones.

...or try walking through this => http://www.rm.com/Support/Technica [...] Home&nav=0