Front Usb Panel Not Working.

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by Arun, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Arun

Arun Geek Trainee

Sir,
    Motherboard - Asus P5g41t-MLX
    Last week i changed my cpu cabinet. Done the installation. But, after installation, i have some problem with the cabinet's front usb ports & audio ports.
    The motherboard have 4 usb ports & 3 audio ports (rose,green.blue) at the back side. All these are working properly.The cabinet's front panel consists of 2 usb ports & 2 audio ports (rose,green). Here is the major problem.

1) When i connect pendrives to both usb ports, they work 100%.
    But
    When i connect a usb modem (Huawei which i use for internet), the system detects the device (shows in Device Manager), but when i try to connect to internet (Mobile Partner), the error shows as "The device has been disconnected or is unavailable".

Also, when i connect usb DVD drive, the system detects it (it shows in Device Manager & the indicator light in the dvd drive blinks). But, i can't eject the dvd drive.

2) Both audio ports not working.

I checked all these without connecting anything to the back expect a usb keyboard.
    I'm feeling so bad that i cant use the front panels of a brand new cabinet. I searched alot in google & i can't get a final solution. I guess that the probelm won't be of the cabinet bcoz usb pendrives are working properly & the problem is only with usb modems & usb DVD drive. & i also done a fresh OS intall. So, it must be some other hardware problem.
    I will be really greatful if someone can solve this. Waiting ...........

2. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Have you tried removing the bio's battery for 10 minutes then replace.

3. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

So, the IO panel USB ports work fine, correct?

One thing that can be a real pain is if the case's USB connectors have each wire as a connector instead of the 10-pin block, and if that is the case, you will need the motherboard manual for the connector pin-out. As much as we'd rather not admit it, these issues tend to be user error. If they were working before, the odds are the connection point and incorrect wiring will cause all sorts of things to pull out your hair (which may be why I'm balding).

For the front audio, in my experience, the wiring comes with 2 headers: one is AC97 and the other is HD Audio. You should us the HD Audio block if you want front audio. You may want to double-check BIOS, but I don't remember personally running into this (or I forgot messing with it).

4. Arun

Arun Geek Trainee

Sir,
    My old cabinet didn't had front panel connections. Thats why i changed to a new one.
    The connections from the front panel are all attached to a single connector (1 connector for usb & another connector for audio) which makes an easy way to connect it to the motherboard. So, i guess there is no need to refer to the motherboard manual for the connections.
    I don't know if i need to do anything with bios. bcoz the usb pendrives are working fine. Usb modem & usb dvd drive are detected by the system (showed in Device Manager). Its just the matter of working.
    So, wht to de next ?

5. Arun

Arun Geek Trainee

Yes, done that. No success.

6. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Sounds like There is No driver for what you are trying to hook up ...Does the modem Or DVD work if you use a rear USB plugin ?

7. Arun

Arun Geek Trainee

Works perfect when conencted to the back ports. Its only the case with front usb ports.

8. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

If the USB headers worked fine before, I would think you're unlucky and have the wiring bad or shorting somewhere. Also, the other devices may be finicky.
    One thing you still might need the motherboard manual for is to see if the USB header is different than standard. This might be a little far out, but I did have a board some years back that had an alternative USB pin-out. My case at the time had individual leads, but that may not help in your case. However, it may provide an answer for this issue.

If the pin-out isn't alternative and it's a hardware issue with the case, you have a couple options. 1.)Exchange the case, 2.) look for a 3.5" or 5.25" bay adapter with USB ports. The header will be standard.