FSB wont go 150 anymore :( !

Discussion in 'Overclocking & Cooling' started by RZA, Feb 6, 2003.

1. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

since a few days when I put my fsb @ 150 my system hangs
    when I did 145 it went fine
    hmmm now I think of it can this be cuze I installed 64mb extra ram ?

and some other questions:
    What does "video ram cacheable" means?(bios setting) its now enabled and "AGP master 1 W write and read" both are now disabled.
    and my bios is lol I did cpu fan protect on and after that it wouldnt start my system I did clear cmos and after 3 times trying it started again(unpatience ;))
    it kinda scared me I thought my mainboard was broke :eek:
    later on I guessed it was prob cuze my fan runs as so low rpm :blah:

2. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Could be that that extra stick of RAM pushed it over the edge. Then again, ECS is known for not being that good when it comes to power supply requirements, often requiring a PSU that's about as expensive as the board itself. I'd pop out that extra RAM you put in and see if it works like it did before. Also, put the settings you played with back to where ya had em originally and see if that helps.

www.rojackspot.com has a nice BIOS optimization guide that explains what your asking about as far as those settings go.

3. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

Big B : I read the post and tried the site to check it out but the link does not work

RZA : I read somewhere (my explanation is not very technical) that when "AGP Master 1 WS write (and read)" is disabled, there are 2 WS(Wait states), so enabling it would increase performance.
    I also read that enabling "video ram cacheable" would decrease performance because the ram of the video card is actually faster than where it would be cached if you enabled this option.

Now....whether I enable these settings or not, I cannot tell whether my system is faster or not so I guess it is not a big deal.

The explanation I gave is just what I read, and if it's not true, I would be happy if anyone told me :)

4. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

damn it was the 64mb ram that made it lockup
    its a pc 133mhz ram but its like 1-2 years old, if I buy a new 256mb ram(prob from Kingston, thats what my current 256mb is from) can I maybe then get 150mhz fsb
    I have a 300 watt psu from some company called Power Logic, I only have 1 harddisk installed and one cdrw can its still be that its to much for my psu ?
    I didnt think the psu was expensive or something, when I orded my cpu\mainboard combo I called them and orded the psu truw phone.

oh yeah that site doesnt work

harrack52 I'm gonna try that :) thx

when I did that 64mb of ram out my pc my harddisk failled again can my IDE cable cause this, its kinda curved or bent cuze I wanted to push it from my window case
    I had to make the cable vulgar(is this the right word?) and after that it worked

and whats better 150fsb or 64mb more ram and 145 fsb ?

5. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Depends on what and/or how many apps you run at once.

64MB is pretty minimal, so unless you're a fairly heavy multitasker, I'd say you're better off with the higher FSB.

Corrected link: http://www.adriansrojakpot.com/

6. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

in my opinion what pushes the psu at its limit would be the video card.

Previously I had a 300w psu (don't know the brand) and was using the onboard video, everything was working fine.
    And when I boughtr my gf2, the psu died almost instantly, no smoke or anything but it just died, and apparently geforce cards suck up a lot of juice out of the psu and I have absolutely no hard time believing that, I have a antec pp352x (350w), it has two fans on it, which is good because my case is rather old and cannot use a case fan on it, and even if yours can have a case fan, another fan which does not take up space is always welcome. at that time I paid close to 100$(cad) for it, I had a athlon 700 with sdram and upgraded a while ago to a athlon 2000+ with a ddr mainboard (I have 1 western 40g 7200 drive and a cdrw)and kept the same psu and there was absolutely no issues there, the psu comes with a warranty too,
    I'm pretty sure this model is now old but I would guess that you can get a quality psu for around 100$(cad), from what I learnt, a good psu is never wasted money. it does not mean you have to buy a 500w psu either , 350w from a good brand in my opinion is enough. antec is good, and I think big b has mentionned sparkle a couple of times.

cables usually can be bent but sometimes a cable just dies for no reason, you can try another one, if the cable you'Re using isn't working your hard drive will definitely not work,

7. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

ok I'm gonna keep the 150mhz fsb
    and hell yeah videocards trend to take much power
    but it works without the 64mb ram fine and I'm not gonna buy a new psu for only 64mb ram ;) lol

btw now we are talking about psu's:
    is the fan in the psu for itself or for the mainboard/cpu ?
    imo my psu fan it pretty much the loudest fan that I got so if I could turn it off and c if the temps r much diferent and keep it on or off
    or I would built next to my psu a new fan, my new case has many places for it :D

almost forgot, that site says I should enable AGP Master 1WS Read/Write as it normal does 2 ws and if I enable this it does 1
    so I'm gonna put it enabled again oh lol thats what u said hehe

8. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

of course that's a wise choice not to buy a psu only for 64mb of ram ;)

there is a normal 80mm fan for the psu itself, like the one that each and every psu have, which blows air out of the case(the one you can see when your case is closed)
    there is also a second one inside the case but integrated to the psu , which is a 92mm fan which blows air into the case, although I can'T really say if the psu fans make a lot of noise compared to the cpu fan (I'm not gonna disconnect the cpu fan to experiment :p)

And no you cannot turn off the either one of the fans on the psu, either way, I don't mind the noise the extra fan makes as I aonly have 4 fans (2 on the psu, one on the cpu, and one very tiny one on my video card which is even too big for its chipset, only one screw goes into the heatsink, and the heatsink is not even made to have a fan screwed on it, in fact I'm gonna remove it)
    yes it is really noisy, when I turn off my system I have to turn down the tv volume, but it does not really bother me, my cpu already runs at 50 C when idle so even if I could turn off a fan, I wouldn't.

9. Big B

Big B HWF Godfather

Yeah, the video cards are getting fairly ridiculous in their power consumption. However, I have read somewhere that the Radeon 9500/9700 cards need the extra juice to power the BGA (Ball Grid Array)-packaging on the cards. I don't remember where I saw it at, so I can't provide a link.

10. RZA

RZA l337 CounterStriker

sorry for the late reply, I forgot the thread :eek:
    My psu only has one fan :p I opened it once to clean it ;)
    did u know u can run a gf 2 400mx without a fan on it? many gf2 mx that u can buy dont even have a fan on it

oh yeah the GF FX will need a molex connector in it to give it enough power, it will boot without one but the driver will give a warning
    and as u can see here also the radeon 9500 needs extra power so I assume the 9700 will be the same ;)

I just bought 256mb extra ram and it wont run at 150fsb but it works at 145fsb so I think I can better have 256mb more ram then 5mhz more fsb ;)

11. harrack52

harrack52 Supreme Geek

yes I knew it, actually mine had no fan when I bought it and I removed the one I had put