G110 and G710+

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by CWDave, Jun 16, 2013.

1. CWDave

CWDave Geek Trainee

Hello,

In my long search for a keyboard to replace my old one, I've come across the G110 and G710+. I went for those two because they were for sale for a reasonable price at a nearby store and I did not wanted to order online, in case I wouldn't be happy and wanted to switch for another keyboard.

So I know the major difference between the G110 and G710+ is that the latter one is a mechanical with cherry mx brown keys. After reading many reviews and information regarding cherry mx switches, it seemed that cherry mx brown might be the best fit as I spend gaming like 70% of my time and typing 30%.

But the thing is, I'm not sure if I should go with the G710+. I hear many positive reactions towards mechanicals, but I've always had a non-mechanical and never had issues. My old keyboard still works fine, but I wanted a new one with backlight. I like blue backlight, they seem to give off some gaming looks. The store where they had both keyboards on display, typing on the G710+ felt... weird, really. I can only find out if I could get used to it after using it for a while, but that means actually buying it, and the store only allows replacing sold products for others within a week. After that, no way they'll take it back.

So, what I did was ending up buying the G110. The problem is however not solved yet, else I wouldn't make a topic. I went for the G110 because I like the backlight colors, but after using it for two days, I find that the brightness is too low (even the red backlight) and you can't adjust it. The G710+ has only white backlight (which turned me off, just by a little though) but it was shining really bright in the store. I couldn't see the G110 backlight (because of drivers, it seems).

TL;DR: So it comes down to this. I can still trade the G110 for the G710+, but I'm unsure about this bet. I just can't decide, and I hope you guys can answer here what you think, would you trade the G110 for the G710+ any time or is it not worth the extra cost?