Gaming dangers?

Discussion in 'Video Gaming' started by pcgeek, Nov 14, 2008.

1. pcgeek

pcgeek Geek Trainee

Okay I hope this is the correct section:arcade I would assume is gaming I am hoping:)

anyway so I am wondering if there are any real dangers to game. I have had huge networking sessions and gaming parties with my friends and I just play and play and play for hours.

I never realised that it could actually harm your computer or has computer risks.I randomly read which said it can give you trojans?:PSW.Online.Games Trojan Wants to Play With You and I didn't understand it that much. now besides what it can do to your computer I also found and this scares me:Online Gamers Anonymous - Gaming Addiction Resources & Community For Gamers and People Affected by Gamers which is like AA but for gaming addicts it actually exists.

Do any of you know anyone who goes to online gaming anonymous and do you think they taking it a bit 2 far maybe? :O:D:p:cool::eek::doh::mad:

2. II Gorn II

II Gorn II Geek

i go to it once a month and we talk about strategies on how not to play as many video games

3. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

If you are at all worried that you may have a virus/trojan/worm (and even if you DONT suspect you do)

You should have a regime in which you fully scan your computer at least once a week.

There is no excuse when there are excellent FREE programs out to do this for you.

On all clients machines this is the standard rollout I use if they want to save money.
    Firewall - Comodo (comodo.com)
    AV - Avast (avast.com)

Antispywear/malwear - a mix of (depending on the situation)
    AntiMalwear Malwear bytes (Malwarebytes.org)
    Spybot S&D (The home of Spybot-S&D!)
    Adaware 2008 (Get Ad-Aware Plus for Free with Lavasoft and TrialPay - Lavasoft)
    Spywear Blaster (SpywareBlaster | Prevent spyware and malware. Free download.)

The first one being a new addition to the rollout due to it being the only free one ive found that removes the notorious 'anti-virus 2009' malwear without batting an eyelid.

4. HardwareAffair

HardwareAffair Geek Trainee

I think about 90% of the people that play WoW or Everquest are gaming addicts. Gaming is fun, but put your time into real life and it'll be much more rewarding.

Ferg, have you had any luck with Comodo firewall? I've been using it for a year or two, along with NOD32, and Comodo has turned into a pain more than anything else. It seems like I have to allow every process about a dozen times. Now I just leave it disabled unless I'm running unknown files, just to double check they're not connecting out to the net. I just stick with the hardware firewall of the router these days, it's much less annoying.

5. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

Yeah i love it, - but I hate the defence plus part, just use in firewall only mode

6. netnerdnerd9

netnerdnerd9 Geek Trainee

who has actually been to gaming help interventions?

7. Karimbo

Karimbo Geek

it is a serious issue, cant remember te name but i came across a video long time ago about video game addicts who spent all their time playing wow and were driven to near suicide as the suddenly woke up 10 years late and realised they had no life, no friends, no job [except goldfarming for wow] and out of control debts