Getting a new monitor for entertainment

Discussion in 'Video Cards, Displays and TV Tuners' started by edijs, Aug 20, 2011.

1. edijs

edijs Programmer

So first of all, hi! I have not posted on this forum for like ages it seems now. Much stuff has happened since then, but these are my home forums and now I have real need for the members help.

I am planning on getting a new monitor and get rid of the rigid (it's more mentally outdated than physically) Syncmaster with it's SXGA res and aspect ratio that leaves me gaming and watching movies with huge black zones on the top and bottom parts. Well, I think you know what I'm getting at.

So the dilemma is this:

24'' WUXGA or 27'' Full HD

For entertainment, I know I need 2ms and LED backlighting - both of the choices have that, but will the slightly higher resolution on the smaller monitor be much more of an eyekandy (the larger monitor will have a grainy effect, but still its goddman 27'' which is entertainment deluxe)?

2. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

Hey edijs

I already have 2 x 24" WUXGA Dell monitors, both are excellent for movies/games (PS3,PC) and general computer usage. Given the choice now I'd go for a 27" with an higher resolution but it does mean paying extra.

I think Full HD (1080p) was mainly developed for TV's where as 1920x1200 is suited more for computers, plus the aspect ratio is different 16:10 vs 16:9, you will get more space to working on WUXGA.

Go for 24" WUXGA.

3. cube_

cube_ Mega Geek

Really? I would go for the 27''. I don't think the extra bump in resolution is significant whereas a jump from 24 to 27 makes your gaming/movie experience entirely different! And correct me if i'm wrong, but wouldn't the 16:10 aspect ratio require a stretch in resolution from traditional 1080p blu ray movies? Thereby reducing the quality in slight proportions?

4. Sniper

Sniper Administrator Staff Member

It it all depends on what he wants to do, if the primary focus is movies/games then Yes 27" Full HD should be perfect but I'd much prefer the 24" :) plus theres the extra vertical estate which comes in handy when working with documents.

The 16:10 ratio would result in black bars at the top/bottom of the screen which I don't have any issues with but then again not all movies are 16:9.

5. edijs

edijs Programmer

Thanks for the opinions! I guess that the 27'' full HD 2ms would be the best thing after all for me as I use my PC for entertainment purposes only. I do all my work on laptops. And besides that, if I have to research stuff on the internet, the 1080p should suffice (I bought a 23.6" full hd monitor for my parents and the difference compared to my current 19" is just mind-blowing).
    Anyways, I don't have the resources yet, so keep the flame burning and throw ideas out there :D