Gigabyte Bios Problem

Discussion in 'CPU, Motherboards and Memory' started by bobensen, Nov 16, 2009.

1. bobensen

bobensen Geek Trainee

Hi everyone, Im new here and I have a big problem.
    It all started when I had to flash my bios to a newer version.
    I decided to use the gigabyte utility @Bios under windows to flash it. I flashed the bios and everything was fine until I restarted the computer :x: I pressed the button and it turned on but no post, no beep NOTHING. It went into a restarting loop and restarted about every 5 seconds.I let it loop for about 15 minutes to see if anything would happen (It has dual bios). I believe the flash was corrupted and now the bios is non existent. My motherboard is a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P and worked perfectly for months now and I am 100% sure it is the bios and not another hardware problem. Hopefully I can solve this myself and not have to send my board under RMA back to Gigabyte (It is still under warrenty)

2. BoBBYI986

BoBBYI986 Geek

Hi have you tried reset cmos? if you can't find the jumpers just flick the battery out with a flathead screwdriver. Have you tried using the other bios to get your system to post? not quite sure how to switch between bios's because I've never done it but iv'e come acrss motherboards with dual bios before and some of them have a switch on the motherboard itself. And i've been told you can hit a certain key on your keyboard to switch beetween bios's. Check your motherboards manual about dual bios it should tell you how to swop between them. If you manage to get it to work you can then flash the corrupt bios. Make sure you've got the correct bios I wouldn't bother flashing with beta bios's either. you can do it from windows generally never have a problem with that, but since it caused you to corrupt your first bios i recommed flashing from DOS.

3. bobensen

bobensen Geek Trainee

Thanks a lot for the reply! I've tried all the possible combos of resetting the Cmos and pulling the bat out and moving ram around but still no dice. The dual bios on my gigabyte board cannot be switched by a jumper or button, when it detects that something is wrong with the system or bios, It restarts and loads the other "fail safe" bios. Im guessing the second bios is fine and the first is corrupted. The bios probably doesnt know what to do and cannot switch to the second one (stupidly). I talked to gigabyte and they said there isnt really a solution so I will probably RMA the motherboard and have them deal with it :chk: it is free anyway :cool: I just wish I could fix it so I can stop using my crappy single core backup computer.

4. bobensen

bobensen Geek Trainee

I finally thought sending it in for RMA would fix it but it didnt :alarm: ... They said that there was nothing wrong with the motherboard and it worked perfectly fine and said that it was my hardware issue... I have tried every different combination of hardware change:
    -Tried a different CPU from my pentium D805 to a Pentium 4 915 which I know both work perfectly
    - Tried different graphics cards from Nvidia 9500GT PEG and 6200 PCI
    - Used and tried 2 different PSUS one was 500watt and other 380watt and both work perfectly
    -Tried all different combinations of my ram from 1 stick in first slot etc...
    I know for a fact before the bios change all my hardware was working perfectly fine and after the restart, it didnt post or beep at all, just kept restarting :confused:. I have no idea if this means anything but before I updated my bios, I just noticed the FC update was new and I downloaded it. When I went back to the site minutes later, the FC update was gone and a few weeks later the FD version came up in its place so i dont know if it was a bad update or w/e. Currently i am fighting Gigabyte so I can find the problem because I know my hardware is fine :ill: ... I really need help :crash:

5. bobensen

bobensen Geek Trainee

Well, I guess i found that the new update just was incompatable for my pentium D, so i went out and bought a new 45nm quad core processor and it finally worked... I just wish gigabyte told me that the update ruled out the old processors.

6. Storm2313

Storm2313 Geek Trainee

Pentium D can be a pain to find support for now.