God, I hate Norton!

Discussion in 'The War Zone' started by edijs, Jun 1, 2007.

1. edijs

edijs Programmer

I hate Norto anti virus. Maybe I've just have the worst experience with it, but nevertheless - I hate it with heart and soul.

Slow, buggy, sticky ... it works against the computer. SO many things got past it undetected.

And then there's the subscription... damn why put your goddamn product on laptops if the subscription ends in less than a half-year? You think people will be stunned by the great job this :swear: does? Or that they'll be stupid enough to buy it.

Had to get that of me...

2. Ferg

Ferg Manbearpig

I'm with you here mate, about 20 mins of most of my consultations is spent taking off norton and replacing with nod32/kerio.

Someone must have sold their soul to get it installed on every new computer system bought in the uk.....

3. RHochstenbach

RHochstenbach Administrator

I totally agree. The worst part is the installer. Takes half an hour to check everything, and 1 minute to actually install it. Sometimes the program doesn't load at Windows startup. And it doesn't detect spyware at all.

4. megamaced

megamaced Geek Geek Geek!

You'll never completely get Norton uninstalled from your computer, once you've installed it. It's like a parasite, a virus that spreads from one dll library to another.

What's worse is that it's usually installed by default in most PCs that you buy from the store. Basically what you are buying is a crippled PC. Surely there is something in the terms and conditions that says "this PC will arrive in working order". Well if that's the case, why are they installing Norton?

There is only one anti-virus program I would ever install on a Windows machine. That program is Avast!. It's reasonably lightweight, detects a large amount of viruses, and it's free! Plus it updates daily at no extra cost.

5. Swansen

Swansen The Ninj

OH MAN AOL WAS THE SAME WAY, lol, but yeah, i hate nortan with a passion as well, any of my friends PC's that i mess around with, the first thing i do is uninstall Nortan and get AVG. But i feel for you man.

6. monksgeorge21

monksgeorge21 Geek Trainee

i agree norton anti virus uses so much of the c drive and then it never comes off or botchesup the pc 2 yrs ago i had to ditch my win 95 i used for playing old games because of norton it kept saying at start norton anti virsu not installed windows will shut doen in..
    I hate em
    George

7. DaRuSsIaMaN

DaRuSsIaMaN Geek Comrade

There's a norton uninstaller somewhere, if anyone needs ... I still have it on my usb flash drive lol. I don't remember the link anymore to where to download it, but it was actually in a thread on this forum once. One of my threads, in fact. It might have been megamaced who gave me that link or maybe someone else *shrug.

8. WWR

WWR Ultra Geek

Just a small note to show how badly Norton does in retail, Game (or EB for you in the US) runs a promotion where if you buy a PC game from the top 30 chart, you get £20 ($40) knocked off Norton Anti-Virus. I wouldn't even take it if it was free!

Actually, scratch that, I would, I need some coasters...

9. Ghostman 1

Ghostman 1 Mega Geek

Norton is the WORST AntiVirus Ever, I tried it Once,Big mistake...
    When it rebooted, it froze my computer too the max.. This is real
    Crappy software.. I also stay away from McAfee... There are allot of better
    AV's out now days.